An explosion of raccoons, is it the passing seasons? new to predator

It does seem like something changed this year.
I peacefully coexisted with a raccoon family for many years, this year not so much.

and yes a pond does attract them. At least mine does.

Imp

I kinda go along with Kari on this. It seems to me the dought and extreme heat has thrown something out of kilter are the wildlifes natural food source and somehow been deleted, or thined out at least. Really hard to get a handle on this deal. I do know feeding um causes trouble all the way around.

Just wait. At least in my state, in about two to three years, we are going to see a major drop in white tail deer populations I think. I have hardly had any calls on baby white tails this year. Many of the mothers aborted due to the drought. That means the precious few who made it to birth, and then through the gambit of predators and starvation/dehydration are now going to fall victim to the two legged kind...legally and illegally. It is going to equal a significant drop in numbers of mature white tails over the next three years as old deer succumb to the inevetable, and the new ones are helped along by yours truely (being the human population).

We may see similar instances in raccoon and other wild populations. This year, there are way more raccoons competing for significantly reduced resources (which is why your chickens are in more danger this year). Not all of them are going to be sucessful. There will probably be a large drop in the numbers of coons very soon...except for one crucial detail. Your neighbors are upsetting the balance. All of those raccoons are not dumb. They know where to get food easily. They will all be congregating where the free food is. There will probably be some noticable drop in numbers however due to disease and fighting amongst the coons crammed into too small an area for them all, and the fact that I think your neighbors probably will not increase the ammount of food they put out, so not all of the coons will get the free handouts, and will be looking to other near by sources for food (ie-your chicken coop).

Last edited:
The fly in the ointment is that here in the PNW it has not been dry or hot. Quite the opposite, wet and cool for the past couple years.
I'm thinking less fruit on trees, berries, shoots etc. Maybe less prey too.
For the first time the raccoons are pulling the Louisiana Iris out of the pond and nibbling on the tubers.
More "stranger" raccoons running around. More daytime raccoons too.
As much as I hate doing it, I'm researching pellet rifles. I'm in the burbs so no shooting.

Imp

Racoons leave a scent trail when they find a food source, either your chickens or your neighbors hand out, it lets them find their way back, but it also lets other coons find that trail and open invitation to a block party. Sudden increase in numbers means all the invitations are out...good thing is you prob put a dent in the numbers but sill have more work to do. Un fortunately, thanks to the hand outs, this will be an ongoing problem..anybody that feeds coons is, well, not the sharpest tool in the shed.
The changes is the weather could have something to do with it, not alot documented on all the weird events happening, like, no acorns this year, so it'll be a bad winter for the deer that live off them (and other critters too) Who knew global warming would do all this?? Oh , yeah, the scientists, now I remember.
Oh, imp? Look into law on pellet guns, it is still a firearm and may too be illegal. There are other creative effective measures other than discharging a weapon in the neighborhood, but I won't go on about that.

Quote:
I live in Portland also and 5 of my 6 were killed just this week!! Our family is crushed. To add insult to injury the neighbors have a son that feeds all the birds and guess where they feed the 4 cats, you guessed it on the front porch and more than once we see raccoons and have talked to them about the raccoons but this is another issue? I agree that they are just like rats, possums and other city born rodents that are getting populated.

Oh, imp? Look into law on pellet guns, it is still a firearm and may too be illegal. There are other creative effective measures other than discharging a weapon in the neighborhood, but I won't go on about that.

That is a very good point. My neighbors said go ahead and get a 22, but one wagging tongue and I'll be posting from jail.
lol.png

Trapping has not worked. Danged street savvy urban raccoons.
If you have any creative effective measures, feel free to PM me.

Imp​

What kari_dawn said in both posts.

I would like to add a caution. There are people that say kill every predator. It doesn't work and it probably is illegal. There are people that give advice based on where they live or on hearsay. Following that advice can get you in trouble. Where I live racoons are considered furbearers and have seasons when it is legal to take them. Indiscriminate killing of racoons or other "pests" can get you in trouble and can upset the balance, what little balance there might be.

Be careful. Find out the laws and regulations for your area. If you resort to SSS don't do what so many others do and publish it on a public forum.

Back
Top Bottom