An explosion of raccoons, is it the passing seasons? new to predator

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cupman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I have always kind of liked raccoons. They are smart, they are cute, but ever since I got chickens I've learned that most of all... they are destructive. When I first got my chickens(April 12th, 2011) I had a pair of raccoons that I would see often, they were distinct looking with one of them being very brown for a raccoon but they were always together. Long story short I moved my chickens to the coop and one of my young roosters was killed. He was sleeping on the edge of the coop before he had learned to roost and was grabbed through the wire. My dad and I were able to kill one of the raccoons the next night during a disrupted attack, the other died about two weeks later when it set off a motion detector by my deck, I was able to pop him in the head with my .22.

I'll get to the point. About 5 weeks ago I saw 3 raccoons passing through my yard, my girls were not free ranging that day and by the time I had my rifle they were in a neighbors yard and I didn't want to freak my neighbors out by shooting things towards their house. Skip ahead 2 more weeks and 5 raccoons (mama and 4 babies) attacked my flock, they had them cornered when I disrupted it and killed all of them before any chickens were harmed.

Now, just last night, I saw another raccoon rooting around my chicken coop, again, by the time I had my rifle the raccoon was gone.

Between my first 2 raccoon kills in late May/early June and the others was several months. But within the past month I've seen more raccoons than I have seen in forever. I think I may notice them more now because I have chickens to protect but I was just wondering what could be behind the surge in raccoon numbers. Could it be the passing of the seasons into winter? I know one of my neighbors feeds the dang things, feeds everything, then leaves a nasty note on my door about chaining my dog up so it doesn't chase the deer. Well whatever that's an entirely different issue. So sorry to be long winded and if you've made it this far... any guesses why the sudden numbers increase?

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I'd kill and dispose of them as that is one less raccoon.

3. mcjessen

mcjessen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Coeur d Alene ID
    In Idaho, it's illegal to feed wild animals. I'm sure it is in Oregon too. You might remind your neighbor of that. I'm not sure the migratory patterns of racoons (I think they're cute too, BTW) but I would imagine they know your neighbor has food and you do too (chickens). They've told their friends and relatives. Keep doing what you're doing and hopefully you won't have any causalities, other than the racoons.

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    I am on my way right now to the TSC to get an electric fence unit. We haven't had coons but we had a run in with possum last nite. I highly recommend hot wire. We used it last year for dogs and it was great. We have to get a solar unit now because we moved the coop and don't have electricity to it... Good Luck!!

5. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Sounds like you need to keep your .22 closer to the door.[​IMG]

6. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Yeah I am sure it is illegal. They are the type though, I can just tell, that if you made one complaint about them they would go to the ends of the earth to complain back at you, file complaints, etc. I built my coop as an amateur and it's big, can't move it. I read the rules and regulations some months later... says your coop must be at least 75 feet away from your neighbors property line, well shoot, mine is about 3 feet from the neighbors fence. I'm trying to keep that can of worms shut. I think you are right, though, it's inevitable they will be around and I just need to be alert. I just hope the coons disappear in the winter months, I'm getting real sick of em.

7. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    I have a family of 6 that loves my neighbors backyard. I've seen their footprints all over my fence. They have never bothered my birds b/c my coop and run is a fortress of hardware cloth. My neighbor has a pond and we've been in a drought. So I think that's why I see them. Last night I was sitting outside and they climbed up the tree not 8 feet from me and just starred at me. They do this all the time. I am not into trapping or shooting them. Just make your coop and run like fort knox. I feel if you shoot 1 or trap 1 or all, there will always be more.

8. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    find out what they are feeding them it makes good bait for traps most folks have coons around they just do not realize it as the food sources run out the coons constantly move looking for new food sources

9. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    Our neighbor across the road fed her cats outside. And probably half of the racoon population in the county. When she moved, well we were...there. We've removed 6 racoons from the gene pool recently. I know all the teenage racoons have been weaned and are on there own. Not too wily as of yet. We have flight netting over our large runs but some of the guys have learned to crash through it. Once they get into the run though, they can't get back out. Bad move buddies.

10. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    here in Texas, we have been experiencing MAJOR drought lately. There is a LOT more wildlife sightings, and I am getting a lot more calls from people who have found wildlife and need a rehabber. The drought was so long that all of the critters are now scrambling to get as much food and water (resources) as they can before winter hits. If your neighbors are feeding wildlife, they are not just going to go away. I have a citizen where I work that feeds them (it is illegal in my city too). We have cited her for it before, but it took her getting bit by one to get her to stop. Do you know how hard it is to tell which raccoon bit you when there are thirty that hang around your house?

If you don't want to cause waves, I would recommend really really fortifying your coop. Does your dog guard your property? The great pyranese at the wildlife center I work with are the best deturant for predators in the world.

Unfortunately, if your neghbor is feeding them, trapping them is going to do very little to change the situation. The more you trap, the more NEW raccoons move in as old territories become vacant. It may actually increase the numbers of raccoons in the area as you trap one and three new ones move in to fight for the freshly vacated territory.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by