An idea for a nice nesting box. Its cheap too!

I have both... If the bucket isn't cut down it would be spacious enough for a larger hen or standard size. The plastic is thick and tough enough that any kind of bracing would be enough.
big_smile.png

I also made a nest box out of one (click on the blue link below and you can see mine if you want. I didn't cut it down, and added a board to the front to keep it from rocking. But I never thought about attaching them to the wall like that, I may have to "borrow" that idea.
big_smile.png

gig.gif

Quote:
LOL - we don't think like that around here, or not often I'm assuming you think all of us with STD hens, need to stop them from getting out the coop and walking the streets, and get them treatment..
gig.gif

Thats neat muddler6-I sometimes put newspaper thru the shredder too to use for bedding. Too bad I didnt get to see your bantam cochins, my computer only shows some pictures- then it just puts a box up with a little red x in the upper left hand corner- darn I love cochin bantams too.

I use shredded newspaper in all my nest boxes, it is cheap or free (We get a local paper delivered for free on Saturdays) and there is always plenty of it around. I got a cheap shredder from Walmart for shredding documents and just put in a new bag, shed a bag full once a week and change out what is in the nest, even though it rarely gets dirty. The only odd thing is sometimes the newspaper sticks to the freshly laid eggs, kind of like when you putt silly putty on newspaper and the image transfers, you get that on a spot on the eggs every now and then. When I change the paper out, it just goes into the coop with the wood shavings and then all of it goes into the compost bins when I clean the coop out.

I have at least 15 litter buckets downstairs. I was thinking of lining four of them up and putting a board in front of them - when I finally build my coop. Four should be enough for 8-12 hens, shouldn't it?

I would think so, mine share their nest, and even when they go into one of the other nest boxes the other follows (they have three to choose from). But I like the idea of lining them up in a row attached to one board. There is another idea I may have to "borrow".

Back
Top Bottom