An idea for a nice nesting box. Its cheap too!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sgray136, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sgray136

sgray136 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2007
    Huntertown, Indiana
    I had an inspiration today when looking for something to make a nesting box. I came across this discarded cat litter container and Ureka!

[​IMG]

I first cut the bucket into two pieces making sure that the bottom section was large enough for the chicken that would be using it. In this case a bantam hen.

[​IMG]

I then made a cut down two corners so as to allow the bottom scection to be placed into the top section.

[​IMG]

I then ran a bead of hot glue around the bottom section of the container, collapsed its edges so it would fit into the top section and then pushed the two together making a shallower box.

[​IMG]

I then cut the seam between the two section lid leaving the smaller section that is designed to stay put.

[​IMG]

Here is the finished product installed. A little straw and Ms. banty pullet is happy. This is cheap and easy to clean. The bottom could be cut out also leaving a small ridge and then the lid end could be kept in tack and used as an egg door.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    A couple of folks use litter boxes, I have one cut down as well

3. paganfish

paganfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Fleming, Colorado
    Well, now that's interesting. I used cat litter boxes but they don't have the lip like the one you have. I need to get that cat litter now so I can use that. Thanks!

[​IMG]

4. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    i use cat litter box (plain with no lid or lip) as waterers and feeders for the water fowl. i love to see what people make with just around the house.

5. Eryn

Eryn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    great idea on modifying one of these buckets! I'm feeling inspired now to see what else I can find around the house! hehe

6. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    Cool [​IMG]

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You are a genius!!!!![​IMG]I see those sitting all over the place on trash day so I will recycle some and clean real well before I use. I like to save the environment as much as possible when I can so I wont buy those boxes. I bet there are other uses you can come up with also. [​IMG]

8. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Great Idea. Thanks! - I have some of those here right now and I am actively building a banty house. These will be really easy to clean also.

9. McEgg

McEgg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2007
    Guthrie, Ok
    I have about 7 of the cat litter boxes. I knew I was saving them for something!! still waiting for eggs though....

10. Gonzo the Great

Gonzo the Great Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    Sugar Land, TX
    How high up can a nesting box be? I'm thinking like a human in which it would be difficult to hop up to a box when I am about to bust out an egg!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by