***An idea for raising humidity!***Pic heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.
The egg filled with water is a cute idea, however, more water surface enables more evaporation = increase in humidity, so I don't understand how it would help.
idunno.gif

Another trick for bantam chicks you can grind the chick starter down a bit and they can take it much easyer.

That's a very good point and thanks for mentioning it.
That is most essential for quail (Button Quail especially).

I know of several people who had quail chicks starve out because they thought they should be able to eat starter crumbles right out of the bag.

It's not something I ever would have thought of, except I had a bag of starter with massive crumbs and my first teeny BQ chicks, so I gave it a whirl in the food processor and always do it now for starting Button chicks.
smile.png

Lisa​

This is an interesting idea...

If I were going to do something with it... I would use plastic eggs and poke/drill the large end full of to make them resemble a salt/pepper shaker and fill them with per-lite that I had soaked in water. They would make fantastic heat sinks in a bator that wasn't full and add to the overall humidity, be easy to clean and sterilize, and easy to store when not in use. Wonder if I could rig one like a water weasel to measure internal temp on eggs?

Thanks, Farmer Kitty. Now you got me thinking in a different direction.

There is some potential in what you are saying Leslie. Probe in a water filled egg would work just like a waterweasel and take up less room. You would just have to keep the probe from rusting by sealing it in plastic and put it through a hole in the top of the egg.

Quote:
Rusting?

What are they making these danged useless American probes from these days?
lau.gif

It's actually an extremely good idea ... will someone please try it and report back?

Yup rusting. The chrome coat on the probe will not stand up to immersion in water. Rather simple and obvious thing to take into account.

Quote:
Most I've seen are stainless steel .... I'll be wary now, and avoid chrome plated

Quote:
This isn't true, I'm sorry, I hate to be argumentative.

I do not dispute the results your friend obtained. However, I have no way of checking all the factors influencing the hatches.

What I do know, is that the water will NOT evaporate from these eggs, even if you cut the top off, in the way it will evaporate from the enormous surface area created by a sponge.

Your friend apparently acheived a great result, but I am highly skeptical that this idea contributed much, the laws of physics are kinda getting in the way.

ymmv

I am sorry but your "logic" is nothing more, than a brick wall of non creative critism. You flat out are knocking a idea that you have not tried your self. YOu dont believe it fine go post something som where else. DOnbt sit there and argue a point you have no clue about.
GUess what Twiggy, that was me , the stupid friend that must live in a area with high humidity. NO sorry I live in Colorado, where there is low humidity levels year around. my nieghbor put the eggs in, and the humidity went up. HMmm Gee I guess there has to be some logic there some where. And gee since you are a scientificaL EXPERT ON LOGIC AND HUMIDITY. What happend to water the heats up? I find your agrument being nothing more than just trying to look for a fight. I am tried of seeing this forum get ran over by people like you who only wish to go around and lock up threads because you have nothing better to do, than to try to make people angry. This isnt the first time i have hatched eggs thre sweety. I am also beting when it comes to brain I lack far less than you do. I at least dont sit and try telling pople that ther ideas are just comp[letly stupid. Farmer Kitty didnt diserv your atittude and your negativity. IIf you didnt like the idea go and read somthing els. Dont just start gringing away at her for trying to help someone out . And yes i do leaver th egg turnrs in, And so does 15 other people i know of. OUr gg turnrs were disigned to be left in. So letys not jump there either, ther ar more tricks to hatching chicks than just one or two ways. My hatches all have came out just fine. None were stragglerd, or had broken limbs, or drowned either. I am sorry but you people to nd to open your minds up ideas, and thoughts beyond your own. And stop trying to cuase trouble for people like farmer Kitty for trying to think out side the box and offer up info. That has proven itself to work. BUt no I bet we cant do that can we? I am with about 15 other members here in saying this Forum isnt worth the tim or effort it takes in being here. Everyone cant think for one second that there is more to learn than what tjhey know. People like this will go around thinking the woirld is flat even, and ther isnt logic in th way water is evaporated to make humidity. Good grief. I have far more stuff to worry about than this, I have spent th night in the hospital with my DH, again. As some of you know from my other post his health is in a horrible state. So i am sorry if I am overexagerating. BUt GOOD GRIEF, DONT START KNOCKING AS IDEA THAT HAS PROVEN ITSELF 4 TIMES, ONCE HER AT MY HOUSE, AND THE REST AT MY NIEGHBORS, WHO ALSO HAS THE SAME SET UP I DO AND LEAVES THE EGGS IN TH TURNER. If i actually felt like wasting mopre time talking to a briuck wall i might take time to post pics of the turner so you can see what i got. BUt I do have a DH that needs me. And Farmer kitty I am sorry that you have been getting so many ngative comments on something that i told you. I nevr thought you would gt so many closed minded results as this. You know the rsults I got with it, My nieghbor, and 4-H group knows the rsults I got from it, And I know the results I got from it. So I dont care if no on wants to use the idea bedcause of their so called logic. I am going to comtinue in doing this when i Incubate. I know there was more than just luck, for a dumb blonde. THe only think i am torked about is how pople are treating you, and being your friend I am not going to sit back and let people continue.
smack.gif

Hey kitty i think that is a great idea and i am definately going to try it next time becasue i too had issues keeping my humidity up. ill let you know how it turns out. as far as twigg i think that you might have felt like you were giving constructive critisism but it came off more like you were just being mean! and wilds of pa... what are you trying to get brownie ponts from twig. honestly havnt you ever heard of the saying if you dont have soemthing nice to say dont say it at all. so far everyone has been so sweet and helpful this whole rude argument you two have going with somone who was just trying to share something with everyone makes me pretty upset. hopefully you will rethink how you say things next time. everyone should be able to take constructiove critisism but not when it is just to dog your idea.
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom