An idea....

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
After seeing the "eglu" on the Omlet website.
http://www.henspa.com/Eglu/eglu.htm

I was thinking... I have an igloo style dog house that my dog has never used. It is really big, bigger than the "eglu." Here is a link to a photo of it
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=35067-73671-25934&lpage=none

I wonder if I could somehow modify the dog house to be a chicken coop?

I like the idea of being able to take the house apart and clean it. I would cut a opening in the side to get the eggs from a interior nesting box.

I think it is tall enogh for a roosting perch to be attached inside of it in some way....

What do you think? Any ideas on how to cut the opening? What kind of saw would work and how big to make it, and what type of hinges?

I have a friend that has offered to give me an old chicken "run" made of welded wire. all enclosed. I was thinking I could make a sort of "tractor" using the old dog house and the old chicken run....

See, then the cost factor is pretty low on my "start up" on having chickens. My husband is just not willing to spent the $2500. 00 or more right now for the type of coop I want.

Let me know if you guys think that is a reasonable idea.

I think that would work. When I went to the hatchery to pick up my chicks, they had one outside right by the door. I only looked quickly, but they had what looked like a broom handle fitted through holes on each side to make a perch, and hay/straw inside for bedding.

Chickens aren't picky. As long as they can get shelter, they are happy.

It could work well for you. A jig saw might be your best bet in order to cut the holes you want. Just start off with drilling 4 small holes in the the corners then use the jig saw to connect them. Would you really have enough room for a roost? I've never actually seen these dog houses before.

That is a great idea! Those "eglus" are expensive, I think.

Good Luck!
big_smile.png

Yes I can sure see these would work well for a Turkey nest!

I have seen them used in Colorado for poor little veal calves. They chain them to the dog house so they can't move much. It is just too sad.. and not KOSHER to raise an animal in such a way.

But back to my chicken coop idea. I won't know until I cut into the wall if it will work, since it is a double wall construction. I wonder.... if I will just end up with two small pieces of plastic when I cut a hole in it?

I have yet to mention this "idea" to my husband. He is an engineer and I am sure he will have his own thinking on how it could or couldn't work.

Last edited:
I looked at the igloos, but the main concern I had with them is that it would be difficult to attach a door to secure them at night. I live in the city, but we have some pretty wicked raccoons out here. I ended up getting a wood dog house so I could attach a door and lock. The roof is removable, so it's easy to get in there, and I made a free standing roost so everything can be removed for easy cleaning. The girls seem to like it so far.

12447_outside.jpg

Heidi,
Because you're in Arizona, I'm thinking this might be too hot for your girls. You don't really need much of a coop at all. It can be three sides of wood, with hardware cloth doors for the front, and a piece of wire on the top to vent hot air.
Put this up on 2' legs, and use a plywood floor. The coop can be opened to the run.
Easy peasy. : )

Carla

I've been looking online at dog houses that could be adapted for a chicken coop. I already have a 24" x 48" potting table made out of sturdy wood that I could use as a base, put the dog house on top and attach a run. Walmart has the ProConcepts Country Club Estate Dog House for $158 with free delivery if it's sent to a store. Interior dimensions are 30 x 28 x 32H, which would be fine for the 3 bantams I'm planning on getting. I would figure out a way to make the roof removable and put in a window. I can't get over how expensive chicken coops are. If you check out eBay in the UK sizeable coops with attached runs are going for 1/2 to 1/3 what they would cost here in the US. Maybe I should move...

Good luck with your plan.

Yes, I think it would get too hot in the summer... and with our very mild winter temps, there are only a few nights that get below 40 degrees here in the winter, I could probably just cover the coop like I do my plants when it gets too cold at night.

I still have to work on my husband, he is still not convinced having chilckens in the backyard is a good idea. He can't seem to figure out why I want to "torture" chickens in the heat of summer?

hot-sun-192.gif

Back
Top Bottom