An independent Speckled Sussex

She hasn't moved off the nest yet, but the chicks were climbing around the nest. The trouble is the coop where she was before with the rest of the flock has only got two nesting boxes, and there is already two broody hens using them.
I could put the family in an unused dog run, but that is on the other side of the garden, which would mean putting the chicks in a box and carrying the mother, and I'm not sure what she would think of that.
I think I should have thought this through before now 🤦‍♀️
she's waiting for the last eggs to hatch then; she'll give up soon if the hatched chicks are already on the move; at 3 days old they will need food and water and she knows it.
If you've got a pet carrier/dog crate, could you add that to the coop for them? or knock up a brooder out of a few bits of plywood? Or, if you've got two more broodies sitting on eggs, it might be time to invest in bigger facilities altogether!

PB172786.JPG
PB172796.JPG

she's waiting for the last eggs to hatch then; she'll give up soon if the hatched chicks are already on the move; at 3 days old they will need food and water and she knows it.
She came off the nest today! There is 11 chicks, and they all had a meal and then went back.
If you've got a pet carrier/dog crate, could you add that to the coop for them? or knock up a brooder out of a few bits of plywood?
That is a good idea, we've got a couple things I could use. I think this evening I'm going to move them to the coop, as so far she hasn't been inclined to come for food.
Or, if you've got two more broodies sitting on eggs, it might be time to invest in bigger facilities altogether!
I'm considering it, I think in the moment its just ok, and my plan is to move all the chicks out as soon as they are fully feathered. (which is also around the time that the mothers usually ween them anyway.)

wonderful news - and photos!
For some weening takes place then but my broodies typically stick with their chicks longer than that; 3+ months is not unusual here, when the chicks start to drift away on their own rather than being driven away by their broody.
They are such a lovely mix of colours to, I didn't realize there would be so much variety.
Interesting about weening times, so far all of mine have started ignoring their chicks after
5-6 weeks, and the chicks seem pretty happy with this to, and will go off and explore by themselves. I guess it varies depending on the hen.🤷‍♂️

She hasn't moved off the nest yet, but the chicks were climbing around the nest. The trouble is the coop where she was before with the rest of the flock has only got two nesting boxes, and there is already two broody hens using them.
I could put the family in an unused dog run, but that is on the other side of the garden, which would mean putting the chicks in a box and carrying the mother, and I'm not sure what she would think of that.
I think I should have thought this through before now 🤦‍♀️
I don't know the details of your setup but if the father is a rooster in your flock and she used to live with other chickens she will bring the chicks back to her home coop when she's ready.
I used to move mum and chicks to a maternity unit once the chicks had hatched but the maternity unit was only shut at night so mum could take the chicks where she wanted during the day.

I don't know the details of your setup but if the father is a rooster in your flock and she used to live with other chickens she will bring the chicks back to her home coop when she's ready.
I used to move mum and chicks to a maternity unit once the chicks had hatched but the maternity unit was only shut at night so mum could take the chicks where she wanted during the day.
The fathers is the rooster of her flock, and she did live with the other hens.
I would have liked to leave her to bring the chicks back by herself, but I was getting to worried about foxes, snakes and birds of prey, so I put the her and the chicks in a cat crate and put them in the coop last night.
I don't know if this was the best thing to do, but she seem ok with and I think it will work out

Back
Top Bottom