Henry&Friends

Crowing
5 Years
May 6, 2018
West Virginia (mountain momma)
hey guys, I recently bought a dozen chicks and four keets to add to my flock. They were brooded indoors, but as it turns out, food and bedding is much more expensive when I’m the one paying for it, and after 6ish (maybe 8ish) weeks, my family was done with the noise and smell, thus marking the time to introduce them to the coop, run, and flock they’re going to live in. I was going to let them mingle during the day and watch, but since I have school then work, I figured I’d just fence off a chunk of run and coop for the chicks, so they could evade any troubles they had. I ran fence from the coop wall to about 1/6th of the door, so the chicks could easily get in and out, but not any adults. Then I made a little run in the middle of the big run, so the chickens could walk around the chicks, but not touch them. After about 3 weeks, I took all the fence down because they seemed okay with each other, and my rooster kept getting stuck in it (there was netting on top, so idk how he kept getting in) and I had to leave my job to help him. Now they share the run and coop, and haven’t had any problems. I’ll draw a sketch of what I’m talking about, if anyone asks.

If they are doing fine I wouldn't worry about it. I think as long as the little ones have room to run away from the big ones, they should be fine. I have put little shelters inside my coop before for them to use as a refuge when I was integrating a lot of chicks. Mostly I think people freak out for nothing. Chickens fight and have to establish a pecking order, so as long as your flock isn't super aggressive and there is room, they should be fine. Sounds like you did a good job though.

C28851B7-E6BB-47FB-A798-19C86FC46728.jpeg
Sorry it’s a bad sketch, drawing isn’t my passion and I’m in class lol

I don’t have dimensions, but I used 300ft of fence (2x150ft) and only made three of the walls (my house is #4) so i conclude that it’s 100x100, or near that.

Back
Top Bottom