1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

An Introduction

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rraggs, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Rraggs

Rraggs In the Brooder

Aug 1, 2017
    We began our venture into the world of chickens Memorial Day of 2017. We purchased 10 chicks out of the local dollar bin and pulled 9 hens and one rooster, courtesy of the internets' help on how to pick them. Over the last year we lost 3 hens to predators and had 6 hens and a rooster this spring. So we decided to incubate to round out our flock back to 10.

This is where things went awry. We did 7 in the incubator, one of which lived. Bought 4 friends because I found out they can get lonely and sometimes not integrate well with the existing flock. Strength in numbers I guess?

Well, we also let one of the broody hens have a try at incubating her own chicks. We left too many eggs and she did exceptionally well, hatching 12 chicks, leaving us with a total of 25 chickens after the one I found pipped last night in the coop that she had abandoned. That one hatched a couple hours ago.

I've actually been a member since last August and have found a ton of useful information on this web site through searches and figured it might be time to introduce myself.

Thanks for the wealth of information, hope to one day be able to contribute some as well.

Lisa

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chickens is an always changing, and always interesting hobby for sure. Welcome, even though you have been here a while. :frow

3. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Blue Welcome.png

That is called chicken Math! Are you ready for Advanced Chicken math?

advanced chicken math.jpg

4. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Crowing

Hello, and welcome to BYC! It's about time that you introduced yourself after almost a whole year! Just think of how much that you have missed! Don't be a stranger, now!

5. Raenh

Raenh Songster

Jul 29, 2017
    Tomball, Texas
    Welcome to the flock :)

6. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington Premium Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :frow :welcome

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens - officially. I lurked for 8 mos. before joining because I couldn't believe all of this was a free service - WOW!! Also not very good with computers.

8. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Flockless Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Lisa and welcome to BYC - congrats on becoming an active member of BYC :clap

Best wishes
    Pork Pie

9. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler Premium Member

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens. I lurked for several years before I joined...should have joined sooner, too much fun and education to be missed here.

Thanks for introducing yourself! :celebrate

Farmer Connie and ronott1 like this.
  10. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Flock Servant Premium Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Fl. Peninsula
    My Coop
    awesome clear.gif lisa.jpg

007Sean and ronott1 like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by