An model agency folks on BYC??

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Damummis, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
  2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    How long has she been modeling?

Does she just want to model or is she interested in acting?

Have you already gotten lots of shots for her portfolio?

Are these all you have?

How many calls has she been on?

Have you sent any of her pics and info to agents or companies that do catalogs etc?

If she wants to act you can even send info to casting directors.

No I'm not involved with an agency. I did model and do tiny spots in movies, but I didn't have the time or money to keep going. Started to get my kids into it when they were young and then decided after a few times I didn't want them to have to do it. A couple really wanted to, but it was expensive and time consuming, so it was work and feed them or live in a car with no gas and try to get them all over creation.

Never deal with an agency that makes you buy through them. That's how they make their money. They'll send you to their great photographer and charge a fortune and all the classes etc, are bogus.

You probably know all of this though, but thought I'd let you know.

I hope she goes far with this. It can be fun sometimes, but very hard work otherwise, but she may be the kind of person to really get where she wants to be.

3. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Good advice!

Be wary of "beauty contests" as well...I know that one in GA went into recent scrutiny because it was non credentialled.

4. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    Thanks for the tips.

My daughter is just in the beginning stages. Found a great photographer and got her comp cards done. She just had her second shoot with him Sunday. I think things are on hold till after the new year.

I think if she keeps the passion, drive and down right stubbornness she will go far.

5. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    I'm not with an agency, but I do work for a film production company and we often hire models and young actors for commercial shoots, television pilots, etc.

If you aren't having any luck finding a modeling agency, I would reach out directly to local production companies. This can just mean sending a comp card and/or head shots (make sure to send it to the attention of the production manager, casting director or producer, dependent on the size of the company), be sure to include a resume highlighting any acting experience, other talents, etc.

Depending on the shoot, whether its a union job, etc, many times we'll end up hiring models and actors directly, instead of going through a modeling agency to avoid a markup. This in turn will add credible experience to her resume, making her more attractive to modeling agency.

Good luck! She's gorgeous and has a real spark on camera, I would hire her! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by