An old Farmer told me this about why I got so many roos this year.....

chickenguysmom

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Madison County, Alabama
It all started when I ordered 16 chicks from a hatchery - all straight run. Well, one died in transit .... but of the remaining 15 it looks like I got 11 roos. Now I thought that it should be about 50/50 but I chalked it all up to my own bad luck. Until ......

I listed them on CraigsList. I got some replies from someone offering advice about listing them and this turned into a phone call from a 71-year old farmer who told me .....

There is a seven year cycle that happens in nature. Every seven years two things will happen. You will see an increase in the population of rabbits (jack rabbits in your yards and fields) and the second thing is ......

Every seven years most of the offspring of animals will not have the 50/50 ratio but will have 75% males with only 25% female.

Funny thing is we currently have 2 bunnies in our 1 acre yard and saw another in our neighbors yard. I think the old farmer was onto something. His name was Bill Allman (not sure of the spelling).

Anyway he was a really nice guy and said I could call him anytime I needed advice. I can't stop thinking about what he said.

Anyone else think this is true?

Cool, I love it!
cool.png

A friend of mine who raises goats got 4 bucks this year. 4/4! Perhaps. I ordered 14 pullets and I am pretty sure I have at least 2 roos. I'm not liking these odds! Interesting concept!

Sorry, I don't buy it. I have zero rabbits in my yard this year and got 9 roos, out of a hatch of 11 chicks, from three broodies. I can hardly wait to see what the next ten, due the 21st, will be. Last year we were overrun with jackrabbits.
roll.png

Oh, how we love our pseudo-truths (otherwise known as lore).
They all sound so lurid, so convincing. I mean, isn't it just more fun to believe these sorts of things, than the normally boring reality?
This one is the stuff of legend, for sure.

My question is this: Why do we jump to the conclusion that everything which pops from an old-timers mouth is gospel truth?

Back
Top Bottom