Baby chick is screaming; but is it for me?

SuperC

In the Brooder
Feb 29, 2024
So I got my first ever babies last night! All of them Orpingtons and SOOO affectionate already (they are 2-4 days old). I checked on them multiple times last night and spent most of the day sitting over the brooder tub taking with them and taking turns holding them, or working around them in the kitchen or dining room (where the brooder is) where they can hear my voice. The temps in there are perfect, they are all eating, drinking, scratching around in the sawdust and preening in the mirror. They also all dash over to me to eat out of my hand if I put some crumbles in it and it’s heartwarming. They are active and doing chick things in a happy & healthy manner (& even the liquid poos are firming up), but they still also take some naps under the brooder plate as well. All in all, ideal and happy chicks.

But if I walk out of the kitchen, or they can hear me from another room but I don’t pass thru the area every few minutes, I start having one or 2 of them give the “panic/distress call” like they are being stabbed and screaming for me. Like, 5 times the volume of a cheep and super shrill. I dashed in there a few times and glanced in, and she was standing there, looking up for me and stopped when I popped my heave over the side and spoke to her. Then a second one did it a few moments later and I dashed back in and again they stopped. Now, for the rest of the day, I have to hear one or 2 screech for me a few times an hour, I’ve started letting them “cry it out”. Breaks my heart to “ignore them” and not reward the behavior (since nothing is actually wrong!) and they do stop and decide to take a nap a few moments later- but am I doing the right thing? The other 5 are totally happy/content, and there is no danger or anything scary to be crying for and I don’t want to train them that I come running when they scream for me.

Am I doing the right thing? I don’t want to break their tiny trust, and they are still dashing to me the moment I put my hand in the brooder, so it’s not like they are holding a grudge, but am I doing the right thing to not reward the screams or am I ignoring a distress call (though I have no idea what they’d be distressed about). Or have some imprinted on me to the point of them going “Mama!? Mama?!”. They were incubator raised and other than being moved from the incubator to a brooder box for a few hours, I’m the main thing they’ve interacted with except each other for a good chunk of their 2 day life.

Any insight or advice? I don’t want to have the screaming peeps rewarded but I don’t want to be ignoring them if there is something I should be doing.

Attachments

• IMG_7227.jpeg
    IMG_7227.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 32
My suggestion would be to set up a camera. It's possible they're just crying for "Mama," but it's also possible that something is going on that you're not seeing.

I was hearing those screams a few days ago, but when I rushed in nothing appeared wrong. Seems I have a feather picker, and bloody tail feathers. The culprit doesn't do it when I'm around.

They could be being pushed away from the food, stepped on, wing battered, pecked. And they know already that it doesn't happen when you're there, so they cry.

My suggestion would be to set up a camera. It's possible they're just crying for "Mama," but it's also possible that something is going on that you're not seeing.

I was hearing those screams a few days ago, but when I rushed in nothing appeared wrong. Seems I have a feather picker, and bloody tail feathers. The culprit doesn't do it when I'm around.

They could be being pushed away from the food, stepped on, wing battered, pecked. And they know already that it doesn't happen when you're there, so they cry.
I have a baby cam I can try to set up; but the few times I’ve gone in to check, the others are usually under the brooder plate getting ready for nap (or heading that way) and the screamer is usually standing alone in the middle of the brooder all stretched out and looking for me. If I ignore, she then goes under the plate and falls asleep with the others. It’s only Mrs Lynde or Anne that is doing this (though Cordelia is also picking up the habit today 🙄). But I’ll see if I can get the baby cam to catch what’s going on.

The camera will also allow you to check on the screams without rewarding bad behavior.
Well… it’s been confirmed- Anne (& occasionally Mrs Lynde) stands alone in the middle of the brooder, looks up towards the top where I normally sit, and starts calling out louder and louder. Nobody near her, nobody touching her… just her being loud for me. “For heavens sake Anne, hold your tounge!” Comes to mind 🤦🏻‍♀️😆😆

I had a chick do this and I know the pain, it's LOUD. and usually it was when she was kind of 'lost' and didn't know how to get back under the heat plate. I guided her back in and she was quiet and content.

I had a chick do this and I know the pain, it's LOUD. and usually it was when she was kind of 'lost' and didn't know how to get back under the heat plate. I guided her back in and she was quiet and content.
Oh, the little stinker knows where she is.. she’s my bullet train chicken- the one who runs top speed across the tub when she thinks a treat is at hand. I think she is just needy 😆😆😆 After 20-45 seconds she stops and dashes off to the heat to nap with the others. It seriosuly reminds me of a baby who wants to cuddle instead of be put in a crib to fall asleep 😆

Back
Top Bottom