An old injury acting up due to the cold? Advice please

cat1994

Songster
9 Years
Sep 12, 2010
Southeast MO
One of my female geese, Lucy was attacked by a fox last year. She made it through with quite care and some antibiotics, though she now has a crooked neck and since she was bitten on her right leg around her hip (I guess that would be the right name for the area) she has an awkward limp. I decided that this winter when the snow is deep I will put her in the uncovered grass chicken run. This way she can’t fallow the other two geese as they walk all over creation when they free rang. She is having trouble keeping up with them anyways since her limp and crooked neck cause her to be left behind. So in the chicken run she would have shelter, protection, and I can keep a close eye on her. But the weather has been really mild lately with no snow so I have been letting her stay with my other two geese until it really snows. That was the plan anyway but Friday she went missing, I looked for her and today I found her, she is ok but she won’t put any weight on her right leg and when I move it she is tense like it is causing her pain. I gave her plenty of water and food she eat and drank a little and is now in the sun sleeping in the corner of the uncovered grass chicken run. I guess I’m going to be keeping her in there for now. My dad thinks that this cold weather is causing her old leg injury to act up and so she is favoring it. Has anyone else heard of this happing in geese? Also, does anyone have any advice on how to make her more comfortable or something I can put in her water to make her want to drink more? Thanks

Quote:
I am having the same thing with my Muscovy drake, he hurt his leg jumping down out of the pool instead of using the ramp, and because of his weight he hurt his leg back in the summer, would hardly walk and i really thought we would have to put him down, but after months of resting he had gotten where he was barely showing a limp but we had some really cold [frigid ] days and he started to limp real bad again and i am thinking the same that just like cold weather makes arthritis act up on us humans it does the same for our feathered friends who have had injuries,. I have given him anything for pain but did start using Poultry Drench in their water every other night. and I think it did help him it has nutrients and vitamins for support. and I had cut down to every third night, now starting tonight it will be every night till I see an improvement. I bought it at TSC. I know there is probably something that can be given for pain, but would rather not use anything thing not natural if I don't have to. Hope I've helped you and hope Lucy begins to improve.

Oh thank you I will be sure to get some of that Poultry Drench from TSC to help her bounce back it is comforting to here that someone else has had some experience with this sort of thing thanks very much

Quote:
Your very welcome. Actually it is called Poultry Nutri Drench. and i use it also during molting it is awesome stuff. please keep us updated on how she is doing.
fl.gif

Oh thanks for checking up on my Lucy, sorry I haven't gotten back to post about how she is doing, school has been pretty crazy. But anyhow she is doing well, she stands on only her left leg though, but walks around more then before and then rests her right leg by picking it up again so her leg is still paining her. She is eating and drinking normally again and is very talkative, I have her in a nice quite place that gets lots of sun but she can still she her fellow geese, most of the time they stay by her and keep her company, which is really nice for her as I'm sure she would get lonely since I'm her only visitor lol. So she spends most of the day lazying around until I get home then she starts yelling at me so I come down, feed her, and sit down so she can climb up on my lap and talk to me (she usually falls asleep lol funny how all of mine get so "tame" when they don't feel good lol) so I guess she is doing better lol

Back
Top Bottom