An Omnivore's Dilemma thread (the book by Michael Pollan)

FrenchHen

Chicken Ambassador
10 Years
Jan 26, 2009
Bagshot Row
Ok, here are the questions:
1. Have you read the book?
2. Did it influence your acquisition of laying hens?
3. Did it influence a venture toward meat birds?

Feel free to discuss the book as well.

1. Yes, in December 08
2. No, I already had hens.
3. Yes, I wanted to pasture meat birds and we raised them this spring.

Overall, it changed how I think about food and where it comes from. I buy local veggies and fruits much more often now.

It explores the production of our food. Industrial, Big Organic, Locally grown/raised, and self-procured are the four sections discussed. I thought it was very interesting, and he explores the costs behind food production. I don't feel as bad buying more expensive local food because it reflects more of a true cost of production (no subsidies).

Haven't read it yet but it has been enthusiastically recommended to me. I'm taking it on my vacation next week so I'll have read it by the time I get back.

I read his other book "Botany of Desire" a few years ago. GREAT BOOK!

I've read Botany of Desire as well as In Defense of Food.
I think the Omnivore's Dilemma trumps both as far as quality and content. He's definitely a snarky writer. I love it, but he uses some of the same stuff in OT and IDoF.

Read it in April, but was on the list at the library for 6 months.... Book on CD in my case. Great way to do this book, but plan a week because it is long!

I have been planning hens for some time... Just kept coming up with reasons to put it off.

I had been planning meat birds, just not this soon

It did change my timing, but didn't make any difference in my thinking. Just clarified some things and educated me very well about the facts.

The one difference it did make was to make me less confident in Big Organic Meat Birds. I want to raise my own now and not buy Rosie.

Snarky is a good word for it. He mixes in many sardonic remarks that give you no question as to his opinion of a few things. But he is funny and his research well planned.

Last edited:
I've read parts of it. It is well written and a good read. When I read it I was already moving towards a more local diet. I do not pretend to be a complete localvore, but I get locally raised, pastured beef and pork, and have a CSA for veggies. Here in Texas, the CSA provides veggies about 30 weeks a year. What I found the most interesting was the part of the book on big organic.

Quote:
Heehee
clap.gif
That tickles me.

(Howdy neighbor!)

Back
Top Bottom