An unexpected generation of Giant Melanistic (Melanotic?) chicks!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Melanistic (Melanotic?)
    Hi!
    I don't ever know what is the correct term, so I'll just call them 'black-skinned'...
    One of my blue black-skin hens decided she wanted to live in a duck pen with the gimpy blue JG roo. She was settled there about a month and then went broody on her own eggs. I figured the eggs were infertile because the Jersey Giant boy is the one with leg problems and I've never seen him attempt to mate. SURPRISE!!!!!
    I've got a new generation of giant black-skin blue/splash chicks.
    They are just the most lovely surprise.
    Here are 2 of the dumplings:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I love the blues, but splash coloring on a black-skin bird is striking.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  2. robbdebbie

robbdebbie Professional Chicken Bather

Jun 18, 2009
    Madisonville, LA
    What size is your black skinned hen? Is she a silkie, or a mix? They are really cute!

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes they are dumplings(even if they have too much fuzz, [​IMG] )! I do like the contrast on the splash chick too.

4. Hi! The mother of the chicks is [(Naked Neck x Silkie) x Ameraucana] x Jersey Giant --- one of the single comb girls from the cross.
    She looks like this one (same cross)
    [​IMG]
    except for the comb/wattles.
    That blue hen lays a green egg, though, and the single comb blue girl lays a brown.
    I was just noticing the dates. They were at point of lay this time last year and only over the summer reached 'mature size'.

There is also this black chick:
    [​IMG]
    and a couple more blues that didn't inherit dark skin.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Ohh, beautiful chicks, Lisa!

Here's a pullet I bred that is out of a JG cockerel and a blue ameraucana pullet. Looks like a twin to your girl! She is huge and exceptionally dark skinned. She is at the point of lay...

[​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Okay I love the black skinned features! Really nifty and wow the width of that blue chick is flat amazing. And the splash with black skin is going to be nifty!

I've liked this black skinned colored egg thing you had going from the get - go, and isn't it funny that your bad legged boy still got it done??? Determined sucker isn't he?

More pics as they grow please?

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    very cool, After seeing my roo limping after an injury but still trying to mount I am sure that even a roo with no legs at all would some how find a way to give his loving to the hens. [​IMG]

cute babies.

8. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Quote:Still breeding these babies? Very pretty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by