An unfortunate time to pip!

oliverj102

Songster
7 Years
Jul 14, 2014
Hi there,

Ive encountered a problem. Im hatching a set of eggs, today was Day 17. Normally Id start lockdown tomorrow but for some reason thought, I should maybe do them now. I candle them all and every one of them was moving at the air sack line, so i thought, "good call" they are eager to emerge. So i placed the hatching mat, started laying them in and suddenly one piped in my hand!!! clearly not in lockdown conditions. I quickly got all the eggs inside added water to have the humidity at the hatching level.

Because one piped I also used a fine spray bottle and misted the inside surface of the eggs, not enough to form drips but so they were all coated, since I was very aware the membrane doesn't like dry air. Any thoughts on my eager chick and if there is anything I can do extra. Its a Brinsea Incubator so it should be doing the job perfectly. Inside is 38 degrees read of a manual thermometer. Humidity is not at 60-65%.

Im already aware if they dont all get a move on ill need to break lockdown to get the early arrival out before then starve, assuming they make it. Tho I will check for any other pips before contemplating that move! Thankfully its all transparent so visibility is easy.

For reference there are 8 Legbar eggs and 3 callduck eggs in there. They were a stepped start so they can share hatching times.

Should I do anything more for the early one?
Is there anything else I should be aware of?

thanks

Hi - congrats on your pip! Once the first egg externally pips, I raise the humidity to 65+% and consider all of the eggs in lockdown at that point. It's possible the one egg will hatch early and the others may hatch on "schedule", but I think it's more likely that at least the chicks may hatch in a similar timeframe. Assuming the call duck eggs are also 4 days out from hatch day, they should be fine in lockdown conditions now, too.

If the early chick reaches 48 hours after hatch without companions ready to join him or her in the brooder, I would quickly open the incubator and remove him/her so s/he can eat and drink...and wait for friends. A Brinsea circulated air incubator should recover temps and humidity quickly (I use 2 of them) if opened briefly. A quick misting of warm water - taking care not to spray pipped eggs directly - can also help the humidity stay high after opening the incubator.

Hope you have a great hatch! :jumpy

I thought it was just 2 days. I've seem them interested in food in the first 24 hours! Little fatties!

No progress on the pip overnight, it did progress a few hours after the first break so I'd imagine it's resting. I've heated the brooder up just in case.

This is day 16 for the chicks and 22 for the ducks. Tho last time I did ducks they came out on day 23... they are just impatient for me! But so cute waddling round.

Attachments

• 20210616_210334.jpg
    20210616_210334.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 0
Update, within 5m of me going in the kitchen and turning the lights on, there was a loud chirpy sound and 2 more piped. So glad I moved them when I did.

My old incubator was one off amazon, looked fancy, held 48 eggs, auto turning, humidity and temp controls, made in China... too bad it didn't say it was 1 time use, after the first hatch, which was late it never got them to pip stage again.

Shows the difference when you use a make that's known for stable reliable results! I se 17 eggs, 12 chicken and 5 duck. 11 are all moving on lockdown. 8 chicken and 3 duck

7 chicks out now and on the brooder.. only as they looked like sardines in the incubator!

There is 1 chicken egg left. Its not pipped but the chick is chirping up a storm. I'd love to help it but the hatch is like a right of passage... don't want to help a sick chick only to watch it slowly die... :(

The last remaining chick is still unpipped tho chirping a lot. Ive candled the egg and its in the air sack but the shell is still perfect. All the others hatched within 24 hours, this one was chirping too but didnt pip. A duck is now hatching next to it but this poor chick just sounds stuck in there like it isnt in the right position.

Is there any safe way to help it, or how long can it be like that. If its in the air sack has its timer for needing food and water not started?

I cant really pip it for them as I cant be sure where the poor things body is and breaking the shell from the outside might kill it! :S

any advice?

Update: After 48 hours of chirping I caved and looked at the egg. I sanded the shell until it was a small hole then used my nail to unzip it. I found what the issue was. The chick hadnt pipped as it had no beak.... Must have been a birth defect but it was a horrible sight.

30 seconds of internet searching suggested to cull as it wont recover. Most likely would starve to death in the next 72 hours. Suffering isnt something id put it through. Looking at the poor thing I couldnt disagree really.

3 Duck eggs remain.

Back
Top Bottom