An unusual pest

AdiosCowboy

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
For the past few days I've been having an errant rooster (from where? who knows? I can hear three roosters around my neighborhood, but this is the first I've seen) hop the fence into my backyard and preen and crow outside my girls' enclosure. It is completely covered with the fence going about a foot underground and strong netting on top so I'm not worried about him getting in, he's just making an awful nuisance of himself. I live in a semi-rural area where he has lots of trees and brush to run to (and he can hop the fences in between fields much more easily than I can) so catching him or even calling animal control isn't practical.

Aside from hoping the coyotes get him, is there anything I can do to keep him from hollering and flapping around until I run him off the property? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Oh my! I can't offer any suggestions, but your post really makes me chuckle.

Do you have a big dog you could unleash to chase him away? If not, perhaps you could bait the coyotes over to that area? LOL!

I'd build a big trap, size like a coyote or dog trap, and bait it with food AND either one of your hens in a smaller cage inside, or a rooster, even better. He WILL go in it and you can do whatever with him after that.

Chickens are REALLY easy to catch in a raccoon-sized live trap. Use anything for bait, cat food, marshmallows, etc. but whole corn works good. They're dumb and curious, and driven by food = super easy to catch. And they never learn. I caught some of my own hens several times until I started closing the trap every morning that I didn't catch anything.

You'll probably have some errant 'romeo' showing up every year or two looking for his own broodies. Every once and awhile you might find a keeper. He'll probably give up though after awhile and look elsewhere. We had a beautiful buff rooster hanging around last year and one of my neighbors down the road finally nabbed him for herself. I would have but I already had my own.

The last thing you would want is coyotes to come. I don`t care how safe you think your girls are. The rooster just want to have fun with your girls the coyote wants them for dinner.
Quote:

Back
Top Bottom