An update and a question

And it's obvious; those balls are much larger than his brain!

Bigger than his brain?

Bigger than his entire head!

0222221139-jpg.3001731

You can parboil the feet, cool and remove the skin/scales, and then add them to the stock. My mother was big on 'waste not, want not.;

I don't parboil them, I just scald as if for plucking and peel their "socks" right off.

You can parboil the feet, cool and remove the skin/scales, and then add them to the stock. My mother was big on 'waste not, want not.;
Yep, there are people who can do that. Not sure I’m one of them. I was raised in a suburb of the Twin Cities. To raise, then butcher animals that I have raised was quite a big step. (Although I had a step-dad who taught me to hunt, fish and process ducks and pheasants, so that part wasn’t completely new to me.) The chickens we first raised were CX, because that’s what MIL had when DH was growing up. At the time, all we knew was to feed them free choice. They were icky, dirty, smelly birds who never left the coop, even when they could. In my mind, those feet could be boiled and skinned clear to bone and still would not be clean enough for me to want to eat them.

I don't eat any of the giblets, but I always put the liver, the heart, the gizzard, and the testicles into my soup stock along with the feet, the neck, and the backs,
Before we had chickens we never ate any of the other parts, like livers and hearts and while we could now, the family isn't very keen; and to tell the truth I'm not sure I am either!
I guess it comes down to what one's grown up with.
My kids and I love breaded n fried gizzards:drool

Back
Top Bottom