Ana white coop - could you comment on any problems, or improvements?

Namaste7

In the Brooder
May 24, 2020
I built the ana white coop largely for asthetics, but would like to make sure its functional.
We have 3 pullets that will use coop.
Any comments on ventilation, roosts, or other things? Thanks
20200511_135952.jpg
20200511_135940.jpg
20200511_201918.jpg

I built the ana white coop largely for asthetics, but would like to make sure its functional.
Any comments on ventilation, roosts, or other things? Thanks
View attachment 2158610View attachment 2158611View attachment 2158612
You're cool looks lovely, nice work! We just built the same Ana White coop but expanded the size because we have six chicks. I don't have any feedback or suggestions yet since mine is new too but just wanted to say that it looks great!

You're cool looks lovely, nice work! We just built the same Ana White coop but expanded the size because we have six chicks. I don't have any feedback or suggestions yet since mine is new too but just wanted to say that it looks great!
Thanks, a appreciate it. For your coop, is the 2x4 innside and between the windows a roost? I thought it was too narrow( 2" side up) , and maybe too drafty being by the windows? Also are your doors opposite the laying boxes vented or solid wood? Thanks again.

Thanks, a appreciate it. For your coop, is the 2x4 innside and between the windows a roost? I thought it was too narrow( 2" side up) , and maybe too drafty being by the windows? Also are your doors opposite the laying boxes vented or solid wood? Thanks again.
Hi! Our door opposite the laying box is solid wood...we only chose that because it was easier with the materials we had lying around. As for the roost poles, we used 2x4 but added another criss cross to give more space to our six hens. I am a little concerned about the windows being at the same level of the roost and not higher- I've read it's better to have windows above the roost. Still learning and researching though!

What are you using for bedding and flooring in the coop?

Any comments on ventilation, roosts, or other things?
Might be fine for 3 birds.
What are the dimensions of the coop only, not including nests?
Pics of inside.
Functionality might depend on your climate.

So....Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1590420496853.png

Hi! Our door opposite the laying box is solid wood...we only chose that because it was easier with the materials we had lying around. As for the roost poles, we used 2x4 but added another criss cross to give more space to our six hens. I am a little concerned about the windows being at the same level of the roost and not higher- I've read it's better to have windows above the roost. Still learning and researching though!

What are you using for bedding and flooring in the coop?
Yeah, I think I'm going to lower the roost a little for ours. I'm using pine shavings kings for bedding and made mine into a "deep litter coop. So there is no tray

Attachments

• 20200509_195756.jpg
    20200509_195756.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 15
Might be fine for 3 birds.
What are the dimensions of the coop only, not including nests?
Pics of inside.
Functionality might depend on your climate.

So....Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2158975
Thanks. Seems like a fun hobby so far. I'll fill out the profile we are in utah near the mountains and ski resorts, so it gets pretty cold in the winter. And we get evening canyon winds quite a bit. I posted some pictures of the interior. Its 3.2 ft x 3.5 ft, not including the nesting box area. ( I havent built those yet) 20200526_093404.jpg 20200526_093411.jpg 20200526_093333.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom