Analysis on the eggs that did not hatch *8 out update

SimplySplendidSilkies

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Adairsville, GA
Ok so I had my first pip at 7 am then one at 9 and then again one at 330pm but not one chick has zipped. Temp is 99.8 and humidity was 70 but I bumped up to 77-80 about an hour and a half ago. Should I worry? When you say chick is shrink wrapped is it in the first membrane or the one closest to the chick with all the blood vessels in it? I can hear them chirpping, and they are still fighting. Could they be stuck? Hatch day is actually tomorrow at 6 am. And can shinning the light on them do any harm? Is there anything I can do at this point.
I am a freaking mess.
Thanks for your time,
Tisha

Last edited:
Do NOTHING-sit on your hands your temps and humidity are perfect! Give them more time mom...Dont open bator-as tempted as it is youll do more damage than good... go for a walk -make desserts-stay on BYC:)

Thank you guys I am a mess over this. Not touching the bator but I am a ball of nerves over this. I have not eaten. I keep getting up to do things but just keep going right back to the bator. I feel sick at my stomach. I am not cut out for this. I have had so much fun doing it but not sure I have what it takes at this point. It is just so real with them in there and to me is sounds like cries for help. I just want them to be ok.
I am on day 20 and a half if that matters. Actual hatch is tomorrow at 6 am.
I am going to sit in the coop for a few and take a break.

Quote:
so your chicks are pipping early--saddle up hunny you have a long ride ahead of you:) It will be fine-they are not crying for help thats what they do-it is nerve wracking as Ive been there ALOT-I dont open bator or intervene until day 23-24 if at all. They need to do it themselves...breath oyur doing good-go enjoy your other babies for like another 24 hours-then check back on bator...LOL sorry couldnt help that ..even I couldn't do that!

If it's not even day 21, those are some early birds, give the whole bator at least till day 22 before you look again.
wink.png

Not touching it not touching it. You guys really are the best.
hugs.gif
I have had a pretty rough day. I wish I would have posted earlier. When I acutally broke down and posted I was beginning to break down myself. The humidity is down to 76 which is ok but I really do not want it to go lower. The whole shrink wrapping mess scares me. I will try to eat and get some of my class work done. Dancing with the Stars comes on tonight so I should have luck not looking in the bator for that tim but however will I sleep. I just hear them now. If only they did not sound like a baby crying for help. I knew they would chirp but somehow never thought it would make me think they were crying for help till I heard it for myself. Breathing a long bath and some wine should do the trick.
Thanks again!
Tisha
Why would the 3 pip early? Did I do something wrong earlier on and is this a sign of problems to come? Not sure I will do this again! We shall see how this hatch goes. I really wanted to do this again but I am not so sure I am cut out for it. I do have the broodiest breed of chickens around from what I gather. Maybe next time just slip some eggs under one of them.

The 3 would pip early because Nature is not on a strict schedule.

I could go into further detail but it comes right down to this: For everything, there is a time. It is not the same time as others, nor is it according to OUR time, but it is in sync with what Nature allows.

And isn't that just wonderful??
smile.png

ETA: and so royally annoying at times!!!

Last edited:
Gryeyes this is not fun. I still need to go eat gonna do that now. I wont be gone long as the bator is sitting here next to the computer. Thanks for all the help and support guys. I can't promise not to look but I do promise not to open. And only shine the light when necessary, it is pretty strong and I am afraid it will dry them out as well. I use the cheap one mostly so it is not nearly as strong or put out half the amount of heat.

Back
Top Bottom