ancHelp 6 day old chick acting weird

Jamie821

Songster
11 Years
Sep 26, 2008
Niota, Tennessee
I have a 6 day old chick that is walking backwards and goes backwards in circles. Seems to not have good balance. It also sleeps with its head curled under chest
resting on top of head. The chick is eating and drinking but walking and balance is weird. Anyone seen this or have any idea what I am dealing with and if there is anything that can be done. Am giving it vitamins.

I had an older pullet doing this for a while. I tried antibiotics but nada. On a whim I gave her a vitamin b shot and the problem lessened. I suspect an early run in with coccidiosis combined with a heavy handed use of corid has stymied her ability to absorb vitamins normally. If she gets excited she still starts walking backwards with her head pushed between her legs. Very scary to see but at least it's not communicable.

With a bird as young as yours, ramping up the vitamin b might puts her at greater risk for cocci. Tough call. Good luck.

thanks for your input just going to try to give her a little b and see if it improves. Definetly weird looking. She does front sumersaults. Going to put her in the olympics

Back
Top Bottom