Ancona Behavior Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heartforchickens, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    I have a mixed flock of 14 hens including one Ancona. I thought she was a she since she does not crow, but her behavior is becoming questionable. They are all 23 weeks old and have gotten along well with each other. In the past week, the Ancona has begun chasing, mainly, one dominique almost relentlously at times. When she does catch her she jumps on top holding her by the neck or just gets her by the neck for a few seconds then lets go. I see no "butt-to-butt" contact so I'm confused as to whether this is just harassment or if she is a he and just beginning to mature. Do roosters have a period of practice before the "contact" happens? She has always been a loner type and a little high strung, but that is normal for the Ancona I've read. I've had hens for 5 years but never had roosters before so not quite sure what to expect. Anyone have an idea as to what is going on? Also, at 23 weeks I have only one laying so far.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    At that age you would definitely know if you have a rooster. I've had both hen and roo anconas and the roos feathers are unmistakable. Long tail, pointy feathers and all. If it is hen feathered (rounded wing feathers and hen hackles) the activity is harassment.
    Young roos do practice but it usually starts much earlier than 23 weeks.
    Sometimes when there is no roo a hen will take that role, being dominant and sometimes mounting.
    Days are getting shorter so that's why the dearth of eggs.

3. Heartforchickens

Heartforchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2011
    South Alabama
    I googled images of Ancona rooster and sure enough she is a she and not a he. Should have thought to do this before I posted the question. Thanks for the above input though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by