Ancona / Call Hybrid

Patch6713

Chirping
May 15, 2019
Upstate NY
Just wondering is it a thing, can it happen? What size would they be? What color pattern would they likely get? I just haven't been able to find any posts about it. Anybody have any pictures.

Here are my current 4.
IMG_20190805_131853856~2.jpg

My two girls
IMG_20190805_141244428.jpg

Call drakes

Last edited:
Just wondering is it a thing, can it happen? I haven't been able to find any posts about it. Anybody have any pictures.

Here are my current 4.
img_20190805_131853856-2-jpg.1882906

My two girls
img_20190805_141244428-jpg.1882907

Call drakes
They are beautiful!
Since they are both Mallard derived breeds they can breed and produce fertile eggs. As for what color the might produce, I have no clue, but @Pyxis might know.

They are very pretty!

Theoretically yes, there would be no problem with them breeding, as long as the males are able to get the job done, what with the size difference.

As far as colors, if they are ancona pattern, then, according to Holderread, they should genetically only be heterozygous for extended black. That means they should be able to produce babies that are both black and also mallard based. They should also have two copies of the Runner, aka pied, gene.

So the babies would be gray partially pied and black bibbed partially pied.

However, your females almost look like they might be magpie pattern, not ancona pattern. Magpie is a possible outcome from breeding two ancona patterned birds together. The only difference between magpie and ancona is that magpie is homozygous for extended black. So if that were the case, all the ducklings from this cross would be black bibbed and partially pied.

If you're interested in reading more about the genetics of mapgie and ancona, you can read this article written by Dave Holderread :)

Back
Top Bottom