Ancona Chicken Thread

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Nava, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Hi, i was looking for more BYC members with Ancona's and there in not a lot of them,or i did not find them or a thread
    So i decided to do it, I love this Breed,they have a nice size white egg, and mine is laying a lot, I only have one hen and one roo,but i have 15 eggs in the incubator, and 5 chicks in the brooder, i want to get a good size flock. well i hope i'm not the only one here.

here is my little flock of two [​IMG] and some baby chicks.

[​IMG]

the other chicken was a cross from my oncona and a leghorn,she is a really good layer

[​IMG]

ancona chicks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    3 people like this.
  2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I LOVE the look of the Ancona, it is a breed I will have one day. They have wonderful qualities like, great white egg production, beautiful Mottled Coloring, excellent foragers and free rangers. Great breed. I just have to get moved out of this city so I have more room.

3. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    I just got 3 ancona girls in March (MM sent and extra girl) Can't wait to see what they are like grown up they appealed to me.

[​IMG]
    most recent pic

Last edited: Apr 19, 2010
  4. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    herechickchick; yes they are great egg layers,and very beautifull color I love my anconas

Kipepeo; there is only two anconas in the pic right?
    well, i would like to know how they turn out too,keep us posted,just purty i tell ya,just purty

5. kipepeo

kipepeo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NC KS
    Quote:yes only 2 in the pic with a splash andalusian and a cochin only pic I found when going through the bunch I took

6. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    oh, I just loved how big their eggs were and they laid every day. I got rid of my trio because the girls never shut up [​IMG] . Every time they would go to the nesting boxes they would make so much noise and get ALL the other hens going to that I thought it was fair to my neighbor. They put up with all my roos, didn't see a reason to make them put up with that too (they were driving me crazy too [​IMG] )

7. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I have both Rose comb and Single comb Anconas. They are somewhat flighty but not too bad. I enjoy them. I'll post pictures on here when I get some more time to get pictures taken.

David

8. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    Rock N' Faverolles :

I have both Rose comb and Single comb Anconas. They are somewhat flighty but not too bad. I enjoy them. I'll post pictures on here when I get some more time to get pictures taken.

David

can't wait for the pics. [​IMG]

9. NGaMountainChicken

NGaMountainChicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    Crandall,GA
    My dad has them and has had his flock for close to 15 years now. A varmit took out some hens over the winter so he is down to 3 hens and a rooster now. But I got eggs in the bator for him. He loves them.

10. Nava

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    we need pics of our breed here , please post some pics

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by