Ancona colour help?

Kim-Bot

Chirping
May 12, 2021
Hey gang!
I have a hard time differentiating between blue/lilac/lavender for some reason. Can someone lend a hand and let me know what you'd call the coloring for the lightest duckling in the photo? Dad is a Blue Ancona/Swedish mix that has some chocolate feathers. Mom is either a purebred black/white Ancona or chocolate Ancona. The 2nd duckling in the photo is also a curiosity as they have a large dark patch on their shoulder thats different from the rest (tri-colour?). Yes, their foster mom is a chicken 😄

Attachments

• 20220716_094043.jpg
    20220716_094043.jpg
    947.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20220716_094047.jpg
    20220716_094047.jpg
    975.3 KB · Views: 8
Following because I have the SAME issue with the various colors. I want to say blue because I know that lavender and lilac sometimes don't even show up until they feather out, but i really have no clue - lol!

And THAT IS SO ADORABLE that they have a chicken mama! I am in love!!!
:love

Following because I have the SAME issue with the various colors. I want to say blue because I know that lavender and lilac sometimes don't even show up until they feather out, but i really have no clue - lol!

And THAT IS SO ADORABLE that they have a chicken mama! I am in love!!!
:love
I'm assuming blue as well for that reason, but I haven't got a good eye for it yet. Lavender and blue are so hard for me!
One of our hens was stubbornly broody so we have her some eggs and she hatched them all and is a great mama! She was a little startled the first time they went swimming, but she takes them to the pool all the time now haha

Hey gang!
I have a hard time differentiating between blue/lilac/lavender for some reason. Can someone lend a hand and let me know what you'd call the coloring for the lightest duckling in the photo? Dad is a Blue Ancona/Swedish mix that has some chocolate feathers. Mom is either a purebred black/white Ancona or chocolate Ancona. The 2nd duckling in the photo is also a curiosity as they have a large dark patch on their shoulder thats different from the rest (tri-colour?). Yes, their foster mom is a chicken 😄
I've been breeding Anconas for about 10 years now and my best guess is you have a light blue duckling and a dark blue duckling. If the father was a blue Ancona/Swedish mix then the odds are much lower for him carrying chocolate which is necessary in order to father lavender ducklings. Blue dilutes can vary in appearance quite a bit.

These might help. The chocolate hen is on the left. The lavender drake is central top. The two on the right turned out to be pure white and almost pure white.

view

Chocolate hen bottom left. Lavender drake Bottom right.

view

The drake, looking less blue than above.

view
Wow, you have a silver drake! Some would say he is over marked but fooey with them. Silver is extremely rare and I have only seen them a couple of times in my life. The other one is a lavender which is dilute chocolate. Beautiful birds! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom