Breed identification of day-old ducklings

Magpie ducks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240309_203758_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240309_203758_Chrome.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 12
Magpie ducks
I ordered 6 magpie ducklings through a local farm store that uses Privett hatchery. We just picked them up yesterday. They are so tiny! I bet the two ducklings I picked up from TSC were about a week old since these little babies are probably truly a day or two old. But yes they appear to be the same as the one in question in this thread. Here is a photo of the new babies from Privett. I had only taken a video, so it's a poor quality photo since it's a screenshot from a video.

In the farm store the ducklings looked like they had yellow bills and yellow on their feet, but in daylight and in our house the lighting is different and the yellow bill and feet are pink, just like my original magpie duckling. SOOO CUTE!

Attachments

• baby-magpie-ducklings.PNG
    baby-magpie-ducklings.PNG
    3.4 MB · Views: 9
Oh wow look at this patterning coming through in the "runner" duck's feathers coming in! This appears to be a Khaki Campbell instead of a chocolate runner. Hahaha how neat!

Attachments

• Jessie duck patterning.jpeg
    Jessie duck patterning.jpeg
    522.5 KB · Views: 5
Update... Maggie appears to be a Muscovy duck! We aren't 100% sure yet but here is more information about her:

She doesn't get into the water and bathe or swim, though she occasionall steps into the large water bowl but immediately gets out. She doesn't have a "bean" at the tip of her bill. Her coloration has changed since she was a tiny baby. She has a lot of black spotting in her bill where she had almost NONE when she first came home. Also she has a lot of spotting and peppery pattern that wasn't there when we brought her home. She seems to have long tail feathers forming, much longer than her sibling that is a Campbell duckling.

Here she is less than a week (or about 1 wk) old.
Maggie and fam day-old.jpeg

3 weeks old, close-up, grainy photo clearly shows color difference in legs vs feet (orange/pink), and her bill change. I say her because I believe it's a girl, but I could be wrong.
Maggie 3 wks old - close up grainy.jpeg

Here she is at 4 weeks old.
Maggie-4 wks old.jpeg

It's my understanding that Magpie ducks don't change coloration at all. She has added peppery flecks under her eye and on her bill. Her feet are changing to be orange

Oh, according to this page it appears that this is a male muscovy because the bill doesn't have the ridge and is wider and flatter?

Also, the body proportions appear to be male. Oh dear.

Males have a wider U-shaped tail, females have a narrow V-shaped tail. Yep, we have a male muscovy! Well, I have to figure out what we are going to do before he starts trying to mate with our females. We don't plan to raise Muscovy. We considered keeping her if she was a female because I hear they tend to go broody and make good mommas. But... We don't need a male.

Back
Top Bottom