Ancona duck-dog attack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meirby, Mar 13, 2017.

1. meirby

meirby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    My almost 1 year old drake was bitten by a dog tonight across his lower back. He has a small puncture on his left side under his wing tip and a large deep gash on the right under his wing tip. I don't know what the best wound care steps to take would be. It's a pretty deep wound and I'm not sure blu kote is the best idea because I know it stings. Please, I need some advice on what to do![​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would use Vetericyn if you have it, or clean him off with saline or weak betadine. Chlorhexidine also good. Apply plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin to the wounds twice a day. If it looks goopy tomorrow, clean it again. Look for any breathing problems since he could have suffered from a leaking air sac if you notice any balloon like swelling of his skin. Is he in shock or is he alert? Separate him in a crate with food and water. Keep him quiet if he acts in shock. You can make sterile normal saline by simmering 1 tsp of table salt and 1 quart or liter of water for 15 minutes, then cooling it completely. Place it in a clean container. Give is an update on his condition in the morning. Also you may want to post on the duck forum as well.

3. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    How would I know if he's in shock? He's incredibly calm, he's not typically relaxed with me, but he will stand and he heard my dog in the other room and tensed. When I approached him in the yard (he was laying down) I knew something was wrong because he walked toward me. He barely does that when I offer peas. I spoke with my cousin who had birds and has dealt with injuries and took his advice on cleaning and medicating the wounds. Fulton is in a dog crate, inside, in a back room where it's quiet and no other critters have access.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Please keep us posted! The Duck Forum can also be a helpful place . . . recently flossyfelix' duck, flossy, was attacked by a dog - you can see how that is going (pretty well, it seems).

Are you using saline? Oral antibiotics?

5. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    I did post in the duck forum/ thread as well. I flushed his wounds with peroxide/water and applied derma gel. That was the suggestion I was given per whAt I had readily available. I wouldn't even know where to start with oral antibiotics... I figure more info will be available tomorrow.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    You might check in with @flossyfelix - the attacks sound similar. And thanks, I apologize that it did not register that you had posted on the Duck Forum.

7. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    I was doing it about the time you were responding to me here. Th a no you! I was trying to find the thread

8. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    My biggest concern right now is his demeanor. He is extremely calm and not moving around much. (Not himself) can I assume it's just injury related or should I be worried about him being in shock. And what should I do for him?

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is he drinking fluids or taking anything to eat? Fluids are important. He still could be in shock, but he may have had some internal injuries. I would give him whatever he likes, but egg and watery feed would be good.

1 person likes this.
  10. meirby

Mar 28, 2016
    Scrambled egg? I read all kinds of stuff last night and so many things seemed to contradict others... Should I just do plain water or should I go get him something else? I am so lost, I've never had a hurt duck before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by