Ancona duck-dog attack

meirby

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2016
My almost 1 year old drake was bitten by a dog tonight across his lower back. He has a small puncture on his left side under his wing tip and a large deep gash on the right under his wing tip. I don't know what the best wound care steps to take would be. It's a pretty deep wound and I'm not sure blu kote is the best idea because I know it stings. Please, I need some advice on what to do!

I would use Vetericyn if you have it, or clean him off with saline or weak betadine. Chlorhexidine also good. Apply plain triple antibiotic ointment or neosporin to the wounds twice a day. If it looks goopy tomorrow, clean it again. Look for any breathing problems since he could have suffered from a leaking air sac if you notice any balloon like swelling of his skin. Is he in shock or is he alert? Separate him in a crate with food and water. Keep him quiet if he acts in shock. You can make sterile normal saline by simmering 1 tsp of table salt and 1 quart or liter of water for 15 minutes, then cooling it completely. Place it in a clean container. Give is an update on his condition in the morning. Also you may want to post on the duck forum as well.

How would I know if he's in shock? He's incredibly calm, he's not typically relaxed with me, but he will stand and he heard my dog in the other room and tensed. When I approached him in the yard (he was laying down) I knew something was wrong because he walked toward me. He barely does that when I offer peas. I spoke with my cousin who had birds and has dealt with injuries and took his advice on cleaning and medicating the wounds. Fulton is in a dog crate, inside, in a back room where it's quiet and no other critters have access.

Last edited:
Please keep us posted! The Duck Forum can also be a helpful place . . . recently flossyfelix' duck, flossy, was attacked by a dog - you can see how that is going (pretty well, it seems).

Are you using saline? Oral antibiotics?

I did post in the duck forum/ thread as well. I flushed his wounds with peroxide/water and applied derma gel. That was the suggestion I was given per whAt I had readily available. I wouldn't even know where to start with oral antibiotics... I figure more info will be available tomorrow.

You might check in with @flossyfelix - the attacks sound similar. And thanks, I apologize that it did not register that you had posted on the Duck Forum.

I was doing it about the time you were responding to me here. Th a no you! I was trying to find the thread

My biggest concern right now is his demeanor. He is extremely calm and not moving around much. (Not himself) can I assume it's just injury related or should I be worried about him being in shock. And what should I do for him?

Is he drinking fluids or taking anything to eat? Fluids are important. He still could be in shock, but he may have had some internal injuries. I would give him whatever he likes, but egg and watery feed would be good.

Scrambled egg? I read all kinds of stuff last night and so many things seemed to contradict others... Should I just do plain water or should I go get him something else? I am so lost, I've never had a hurt duck before.

Back
Top Bottom