Ancona Duckling Colors

aineheartsyou

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Dixie, WA
Hey all! It has been a looong time since I have been on the forums. I just had a bunch of ancona ducklings hatch out which is always super exciting! Thing is, there is some strangeness going on.. there are blacks and blues which I expected since daddy is blue and momma is black but there are also a couple chocolates and one that appears to be silver
idunno.gif
these are for sure from only this pair as my other duck was on her own nest at the time.

Black on left, chocolate on right

Blue on left, silver? on right

My understanding is a blueXblack cross would produce 50% blues and 50% blacks. to get silver both parents would have to be blue or silver.

Blue Drake to Black duck = 1/2 blue, 1/2 black, unless the drake carries chocolate. If he does, then you would get 1/2 blue, 1/4 chocolates (all female), 1/4 blacks. The males might carry chocolate or might not. Females cannot be "silent" carriers of chocolate. If they have the gene, they show it.

Blue Drake to Lilac Duck(remember lilac is two blue genes & the chocolate gene) = 1/2 blue, 1/2 silver with all males being chocolate carriers. Unless, the drake carries chocolate and then you get 1/4 lavender, 1/4 blue, 1/4 silver, 1/4 lilac.

I know this is an older thread but can someone tell me if this is an Ancona duckling? Was told it is but to me it looks more like a Rouen duckling. I got this duckling as a mothers day present from my husband.

Back
Top Bottom