Ancona Ducklings & Breed SOP

Those are out of your earlier ducks? Interesting how much white. I'm wanting to introduce more color into my too white flock and thought dark girls would help since I want to keep my drake who has about that much white. Hmmm....*headscratch*

Those are nice looking Anconas. I am breeding them too, one of my girls is currently broody and will be hatching out a lot of Ancona ducklings this Thursday (if all goes well)!

Those are out of your earlier ducks? Interesting how much white. I'm wanting to introduce more color into my too white flock and thought dark girls would help since I want to keep my drake who has about that much white. Hmmm....*headscratch*
Yes they are. I only had 4 out of I think 16 (if I remember correctly) that were marked this way. The rest were similarly marked to their parents.

See I knew my girls had a bit too much color so I specifically looked for a drake with lesser markings (best I could find) in my area. The breed is not very common in my area so it was an adventure looking.

Are you just trying to gain more markings?

Those are nice looking Anconas. I am breeding them too, one of my girls is currently broody and will be hatching out a lot of Ancona ducklings this Thursday (if all goes well)!
Lucky! I wish 1 of mine would go broody!

I’m really loving the breed! They are beautiful & are the only breed that have laid through the winter for me. Of course that bit me in the butt because they all decided to moult in prime hatching season lol. Just now starting to get eggs again.

Is the breed easy to come by where you live?

I’m really loving the breed! They are beautiful & are the only breed that have laid through the winter for me. Of course that bit me in the butt because they all decided to moult in prime hatching season lol. Just now starting to get eggs again.

What province are you in ?
I’m in Alberta

That’s awesome! I do love that they lay through the winter, it’s so nice lol.

No they aren’t easy to come by where I am. I actually accidentally come across this breed when I was looking for a few Runners at someone’s house, he was going to let me buy a few of the runners, but, then, I saw the Anconas and got two of them!!

I’m in Alberta as well.

If your location (in your profile) is correct I’m 5.5 hrs straight north of you.

Cold lake/Bonnyville area
I’m just outside Medicine Hat area
I have messaged the lady I got my Swedish ducklings from as I can't remember if she has Ancona ducks as well
If she does I will connect you two

Are you just trying to gain more markings?
Yes. I first timer test incubator hatched 4 last year in March and 1 was pure white and another only had a bit of color on its head. 2 naturally hatched in August were lavender hens but with 70% white. So the drake is a good sire passing the recessive genes but his harem has a lot of white.

One of my 2 hens that went broody last year during a heatwave was a dedicated sitter and fantastic mom -- even chasing the randy drake off from her teenager. The other broody preferred to fight with the first over the eggs and ducklings. She trampled one poor duckling fighting over it causing leg injuries 3 times.

Back
Top Bottom