Ancona ducks first time laying eggs!

Hi goatlover oz aka Australia will post picks when I can. Trying to find are complementary breed drake that is here. We don't have magpies or stanbridge.

Ok! Thank you so much for all your help! She did lay another egg today!
smile.png

I hope you find a drake soon! There is a lot of  Ancona ducks here in the U.S.A. 
yes I hope so too. Obviously there are some here too. Contacted someone who advertised xbreds here last week they were happy to answer any questions bout their ducks posted him a pic of what I have here and now won't reply. The import ban is huge problem there are syndicates trying to get new bloodlines of other breeds into Australia but red tape and government officials are trying just as hard to stop them. Most recent is the stay of execution of 4000 chicks on at torren island facility. All because one chick died of salmonella a disease already here.

Thanks. The hatcheries are telling us they are sold out. Also, don't want to buy straight run. I tend to end up with males that way. ;)
In case you haven't found any: Cackle hatchery will start hatching all poultry soon. I ordered Ancona's (SR), Rouen's, turkey's and Easter Egger chickens yesterday. There is also a farm in Oregon that raises and hatches Ancona's and will ship, though they are also SR I believe. You can check them out at coldcreekhomestead.com They are breeding to try to help bring the breed out of the critically endangered category.

Last edited:
i have a question what happens when a duck lays it first egg and its on the pool floor and one of the mallard hens know what she doing but how do i check to see if they are even fertilized

Last edited:
My hen has never laid her eggs in the pool. If you have a drake then the egg should be fertile. If you crack the egg open and there is a large white spot on the yolk, then he egg should be fertile.

Back
Top Bottom