1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ancona incubation period?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by farmdude, May 4, 2011.

1. farmdude

farmdude Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Some ducks take 26 days, some 28. Does anyone know how long Anconas take? One hatched today at 26 days but none of the other eggs have even piped yet. I sure hope I get more than 1 duckling![​IMG]

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Give them a few more days- there is often some early or late- 28 days is the average for mallard derived ducks- some of the smaller breeds - calls etc can be less but anconas should be closer to day 28 average for hatching.

Are the other eggs moving at all? Or can you hear peeping from the eggs- that would indicate that they have at least broken through the membrane.

3. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:No sound or movement that I can tell. Candled them and they are "full" but with airsac. I bought the eggs here on auction and was really excited about getting them. I feel bad for the lone duck in the brooder.

4. toadbriar

toadbriar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    someone always has to be first!
    Try to resist looking in the bator for like six hours at a stretch and chances are good that when you finally do, you'll see pips.

If the hatch was likely to go bad, you probably wouldn't have gotten one guy out early on his own, right? Give em time [​IMG]

A watched pot never boils! [​IMG]

edited to add, don't feel bad for that first guy, he'll have a head start over the others and will boss them around!

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  5. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:Thanks for the encouraging words Toadbriar from Massachezzits!
    I've been on a quest for some affordable Anconas for years. They are scarce around here.

6. toadbriar

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    They're scarce around most everywhere, it seems! What's going on in there now?

7. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:A friend of mine brought over a freshly hatched duckling for companionship. In the incubator 1 egg has piped at the wrong end! Nothing going on with the rest. Today is day 27, 28 if you count the day I set them. Cackle Hatchery sells Ancona ducklings for $50. + and $20. for shipping for 15 ducklings. Found them after I bought the eggs.

8. toadbriar

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    it's good to have the kind of friends who have freshly hatched ducklings on hand! [​IMG]

look at it this way. when you want to get more [​IMG] you can order some from cackle. or boondockers... or sandhill preservation. And it'll give your flock more diverse genetics!

How many eggs are you hatching, total?

9. farmdude

Sep 20, 2009
    NE Wisconsin
    Quote:I started off with 2 dozen. 19 were ferlile. 14 still going at 2 weeks,5 at 3 weeks. 1 of the 5 hatched and 1 is pipped. My worst hatch rate ever.

10. toadbriar

Jan 28, 2010
    central massacheezits
    oh man that IS a brutal drop. What happened between week 2 & 3??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by