And another question about Winter Care...

I got scared there for a minute. I just woke up and I am trying to think how snow will stick to the sides...lol
Yeah, sorry...I totally missed the 'sides' part...was thinking side of roof.
Am paranoid about snow load, had a bad experience her(even with a 2x4 mesh roof) and have seen many others.

I had the same prefab, minus the upgrades you've done.
All of my chickens came out. I opened the pop door for them every morning and closed it every night. Which, I probably didnt have to - just did it for peace of mind. I kept their food and water under the main coop area. Plus, I added a run extension that was covered with a tarp. But, that wasn't always open depending on the day or snow fall - because I knew they wouldn't venture that way on those days.
But, on the section under the coop, I had wrapped in plastic. That is where they stayed most of the day. As long as the snow was cleared for them - they were out even on the coldest days we had where the windchills dipped to negative 25.
When I think about winter care, I remind myself that wild birds are out in it everyday. They just seek shelter from the wind.

We are getting down to the 40's already, it happened kind of fast. So I want to be done by middle of Oct. I was trying to keep the pool for the ducks up longer but it's not draining as fast into the ground because it's getting colder. They are going to miss the pool, that is for sure.

I had the same prefab, minus the upgrades you've done.
All of my chickens came out. I opened the pop door for them every morning and closed it every night. Which, I probably didnt have to - just did it for peace of mind. I kept their food and water under the main coop area. Plus, I added a run extension that was covered with a tarp. But, that wasn't always open depending on the day or snow fall - because I knew they wouldn't venture that way on those days.
But, on the section under the coop, I had wrapped in plastic. That is where they stayed most of the day. As long as the snow was cleared for them - they were out even on the coldest days we had where the windchills dipped to negative 25.
When I think about winter care, I remind myself that wild birds are out in it everyday. They just seek shelter from the wind.

So now that I did the upgrades, do I still let them in the run area(by run area I mean the big run-not the one attached to the coop) That is where I'm second guessing it. If I open those doors(even one) I feel that is going to let a lot of wind/cold in, defeating the purpose.

With those upgrades I no longer close the pop door inside--at night they have the whole area. The 3 older ones go I that area and the 4 younger ones roost on the bar that is out of that area.

So technically the area I covered is the run area--I'm talking about the bigger run area.

These guys are still not getting along perfectly here. Better but I am worried the older ones will chase the younger ones out and they won't be able to get back in to be warm. On snow days I don't think I should leave that door open for that reason.

So now that I did the upgrades, do I still let them in the run area(by run area I mean the big run-not the one attached to the coop) That is where I'm second guessing it. If I open those doors(even one) I feel that is going to let a lot of wind/cold in, defeating the purpose.

With those upgrades I no longer close the pop door inside--at night they have the whole area. The 3 older ones go I that area and the 4 younger ones roost on the bar that is out of that area.

So technically the area I covered is the run area--I'm talking about the bigger run area.

These guys are still not getting along perfectly here. Better but I am worried the older ones will chase the younger ones out and they won't be able to get back in to be warm. On snow days I don't think I should leave that door open for that reason.
I would open it. See what they prefer. It will give them more room to get away from each other too if needed.

For all those that don't know what I did

Here are the pictures--I'm talking about the big run out of the coop

The door in question is the two doors to the left of the new window I put in.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Use the lower door for a pop door, keep the top ones closed.
Remember you're not going to keep the coop 'warm', it just needs to block the wind.
How many birds do you have?
Nasty weather may keep them inside and crowding can become a Cabin Fever nightmare.

Use the lower door for a pop door, keep the top ones closed.
Remember you're not going to keep the coop 'warm', it just needs to block the wind.
How many birds do you have?
Nasty weather may keep them inside and crowding can become a Cabin Fever nightmare.

There are 7. Thankfully none are full grown. Leaving it the way it was-was not going to be enough space, considering they don't all get along perfectly. The 4 younger ones are not laying yet. Now the older ones would be smart and be nice to the brahmas to keep warm because they are super fluffy.

Back
Top Bottom