And another question about Winter Care...

llombardo

Crowing
Mar 11, 2018
Illinois
In extreme weather does everyone still open the coop door for them to come out if they choose or just keep it closed?

If you do open it for them, how do you control the cold coming in? I would think that not all the chickens would choose to come out, but one or two may venture out, but the rest would still get that cold coming in while they are trying to stay warm.

This is my first winter with them and I want them as comfortable as possible.

Please do not try and keep your chickens warm. People who try and keep them warm often block up the ventilation, as since childhood, we've been told, "Are you trying to heat the great outdoors.

The best kept chickens, the most comfortable chickens are dry chickens. Dry chickens out of a wind, will be warm. Cold air won't bother them, dampness will. Think of a winter coat, in a sauna, go outside, and it will be cold, no matter how thick the coat.

So yes, the door is open every day, it is blocked from the prevailing wind, but it is open. Very Very seldom do I have a day where as the chickens do not go outside. However, I do have a wind block, sun porch out side and they do spend a lot of time in it.

Mrs K

My one shed has a east facing doorway that never closes. Usually the prevailing winds come out of the north west. Chickens go out if they wish or stay inside, their choice.

My bantam coop door unfortunately faces north. On really cold days my bantams don't come outside anyways so I don't open it. We usually build a tunnel out of hay bales to block the wind and snow for more reasonable days. This year we are going to try to put up some plastic on the run to block it all. We will see how it works.

I'm starting to tarp the run tomorrow. On two sides where the sun doesn't ever come in I am using regular tarps, then on the other two sides I'm using clear plastic do sun comes in and wind stays out.

I think I may take a piece of that clear plastic and cut strips through it to go over the door, so they can come and go and it will block the wind. Not sure if they will figure that one out.
Make sure that tarps and clear plastic is well supported and you can clear the snow off it regularly..I know, I am repeating myself to you, but I just can't help it :D

Have read that with the strips, start adding them at the outside of opening, then add 2 more at a time when they get used to the previous ones.

My west facing pop door is protected by an awning and a glass 'foyer', which really helps keep the cold wind from blowing into coop(not that the coop is any warmer than the outside air), it also protects the dry lounging area under the coop which is the only outside shelter they have and another glass panel protects the north side of that.
Chicken wire on glass foyer panels are only for adding visibility, pics taken before end of run with door was installed.
upload_2018-9-23_7-4-15.png

I had the same prefab, minus the upgrades you've done.
All of my chickens came out. I opened the pop door for them every morning and closed it every night. Which, I probably didnt have to - just did it for peace of mind. I kept their food and water under the main coop area. Plus, I added a run extension that was covered with a tarp. But, that wasn't always open depending on the day or snow fall - because I knew they wouldn't venture that way on those days.
But, on the section under the coop, I had wrapped in plastic. That is where they stayed most of the day. As long as the snow was cleared for them - they were out even on the coldest days we had where the windchills dipped to negative 25.
When I think about winter care, I remind myself that wild birds are out in it everyday. They just seek shelter from the wind.

My one shed has a east facing doorway that never closes. Usually the prevailing winds come out of the north west. Chickens go out if they wish or stay inside, their choice.

My bantam coop door unfortunately faces north. On really cold days my bantams don't come outside anyways so I don't open it. We usually build a tunnel out of hay bales to block the wind and snow for more reasonable days. This year we are going to try to put up some plastic on the run to block it all. We will see how it works.

I like the hay or straw bale tunnel idea! We don't have a lot of space on either side of the door, but I could split one in half and retie it. A lot of work, but if I do it now, while the weather's still decent, we can move it outside when we need it. That would work well in the spring rains, too. Thanks!

I'm starting to tarp the run tomorrow. On two sides where the sun doesn't ever come in I am using regular tarps, then on the other two sides I'm using clear plastic do sun comes in and wind stays out.

I think I may take a piece of that clear plastic and cut strips through it to go over the door, so they can come and go and it will block the wind. Not sure if they will figure that one out.

Back
Top Bottom