And just WHEN will I be able to tell if it's a HE or a SHE??

wsdareme

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2010
Yelm, WA
I have a 4 month old White Crested Black Polish. The poor bird has an identity crisis. We refer to it as a "he" sometimes, a "she" other times. We named it Einstein (anyone who knows what WCBPs look like can understand). It's "she" name is Phyllis Diller.

I have read that it takes 5 to 10 months for the pullets to start laying, if they ever lay at all. Einstein has some cute little red wattles, but I would expect that at this age...? I also read that WCBP's personality is defined as "quirky". That is the truth. Einstein will run up to you and act like he's (she's ?) interested in your feet (which is probably the only part of you that it can see), and then jump back if you move them. I can't tell if that's typical bantam aggressive behavior, or just a bird that likes to come and see you. He/she has never crowed.

The oddest thing is that all the other chickens have accepted Einstein without any blood being shed. There were a couple of feathers pulled out in the first two days, and since then they act like Einstein doesn't exist. I don't know if he/she has even established himself/herself in the pecking order. They simply ignore him/her.

Can anyone share their "pearls of wisdom" about this adorable breed of bird and help me to know what I'm dealing with?

Meet Einstein:

50766_cimg3935.jpg

He/she is 20 weeks old.

Einstein is a pullet. The pullets have a round "do":

4810_p8260026_640x480.jpg

The cockerels have the spiky, every direction at once do's:

4810_p8260028_640x480.jpg

Such quirky, friendly little birds.

ETA: My polish pullet Pearl is a sweetheart and is fascinated with my shoes. She follows me everywhere by keeping an eye on my shoes. She's had a few haircuts already and will be getting another one tonight.

Last edited:
Sigh. Well, I guess we'll have to start calling her "Phyllis"....

Thank you so much for your pictures!!!!!

I have a frizzle roo who is 4 months and week old and just two days ago we found out that HE is a roo!!! he started crowing at around 10 a.m. and hasnt stopped since! so you'll know when he starts crowing because we were positive that he was a girl until two days ago....good luck!

Back
Top Bottom