And my hen crowed too!! LOL

ozark hen

Living My Dream
15 Years
Apr 4, 2007
Mansfield, MO
We thought we had a hen here at first. She/he was a rescue bird and couldn't really tell since so many tail feathers were missing and frankly, it looked like a hen then. But I have seen him crow several times now. His personality is amazing. From the first he was so mellow. He was the first of the rescue birds to blend into the flock, after a month of isolation, and no one attacked him once! I was positive it was a hen.
big_smile.png

Now he is so handsome and still gets along great with the flock and I have seven roos in a flock of 25 now. They all get along fine and no fighting exists between the roos.
newroo.jpg

Can someone please tell me what kind he is? His legs are dark. He is multi-colored red with a gorgeous green/black tail.
He seems to be a banty. Here he is with a pullet.
DSC02328.jpg

good grief, that IS a pullet isn't it?

Last edited:
OMG, after I saw the photo of the other bird it dawned on me that it is probably another roo!! Got to get rid of some of these roos now. LOL
ep.gif
Thanks, the little guy did come with some silkie mixes. After reading about the gamecock here I was wondering what breed this guy was. I really didn't think he was a gamecock since he so mild mannered...oh, now I have a name for him!! Clark Kent!
lau.gif

hi ozark hen!
you and i seem to be traveling in the same boat right now! ha ha.
he looks ALOT like my ruby/rubio who, according to folks who know, is an american gamefowl. like yours mine is also a really mellow and gentle sort of fellow! who knew?
and like you, mine is a rescue too . . .
(apparently my neighbors are raising american gamefowl . . . i will insert no value judgments here but, *sigh*). i live in the los angeles area and i know that cockfighting does happen a lot here so i guess that's probably what is happening. he does have an unusual number of cocks . . . i'm so dumb, i was always like "he must just like how PRETTY they are!"
what was the situation behind you getting your guy? where did he come from?
thanks for rescuing him, he looks really happy and healthy!
f. weeble

I used to watch fights with my grandfather on TV since its legal here. One time i went to one, that was the first and last. It ain't my cup of tea. On TV it was no big deal, but in person it turned my stomach. I will end up with lots of roos because they are purdy and necessary for fertile breed specific eggs, but never will i deal in anything involved with cockfighting.

hi db!
i didn't mean to insunuate that EVERYONE who has these birds fights them . . .
i know some people raise them simply for show.
they ARE gorgeous so i totally get that.
my neighbors are naturalized citizens from the philipines where, i've read, cockfighting is very popular and not stigmatized yes? (again, i'm NOT making value judgements here, i know that my culture is just one of MANY and that such things are relative.) i do cringe at the idea of animals enduring pain for sport but that's just me. i'm one of those crazy folks like - that but i'm not a vindictive crazy person!
smile.png

anywhoo,
peace and such to all,
f. weeble

Hi f.weeble. I got this bird from a wonderful byc lady who rescued about twenty birds in very bad shape. They were kept in small cages at some old woman's house. Justusnak's threads are on here about the whole rescue. She did a marvelous job with all those birds she rescued. I will try to find the first link for you.
Here is her first thread on the poor birds..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16950
then the second thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=18833
As you can see she went above and beyond helping these poor birds.
My three are robust and healthy now and have blended into my flock very nicely but one..Capt. Jack Sparrow has "issues" to put it nicely. He is so pretty now but needs some counseling.
lau.gif
We have different threads on these rescue birds. You can type in our names under search and you will find them all.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom