1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

And so I caved in :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LovinMyPeeps, Sep 23, 2009.

1. LovinMyPeeps

LovinMyPeeps Sees Wine Dots

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    I went onto e-bay and got a really good deal on a new HovaBator and then bought a turner... I am SO excited!! [​IMG] I have never hatched my own eggs before, only bought chicks and then 2 pullets (which are busy enjoying a cabbage in their quarantine...). I want to start by only doing 2-3 eggs. Where is my best bet to get eggs? Should I order them or ask at my local organic farm that raises Plymouth Barred Rocks?? I know if I hatch them there is NO WAY i'm going to want to part with them so there's the rub. I have 2 PBR's and would like to try orps or favorelles. Is there a way to get just 3 eggs if you order them? I just remember ordering 9 chicks and ending up with 25 [​IMG]

2. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

the best is to find the eggs from local. since shipped eggs have much problem like you can read in here.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I just bought a bator too. (never hatched before either) I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! It's been shipped, so I'm just waiting............c'mon UPS man.

Someone here recommended hatching at least 6 eggs. Cuz not all of them will hatch, and you don't want a single chick.

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:unfortunately i don't have any other duck so my duck is alone and i can't mix him with chicks since he's older about almost 2 weeks than chicks (if i'm not forget).

5. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    PBR are the most common here, I might be able to find someone in the poultry fanciers group that has other more rare breeds. I'd also like more Chanteclers. Maybe a "looking for" article in craigslist??

6. beckychick

beckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Cantonment
    i have heard of people buying eggs from wal-mart and then hatching them.

7. Brianm97

Brianm97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Connecticut
    How?[​IMG]

8. LovinMyPeeps

Mar 22, 2009
    Heuvelton, NY
    Seriously? I avoid Walmart like the plague.. but if they have hatching eggs.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by