And the picking starts

Steve_of_sandspoultry

Crowing
10 Years
Apr 4, 2009
Eastern North Carolina
We got 10 ringneck pheasant chicks about 2 months ago. Up until yesterday they were doing fine, no picking, growing like weeds. Got home yesterday and found one scalped. And caught the one doing it in the act. The one scalped seems to be doing fine this morning - I put him in with some Marans chicks and they are leaving him alone. From what I saw there was only one doing the picking, it had blood on it's beak and none of the others did at all.

We took the one that was doing the picking and nipped the end of the top beak off. about an 1/8 of an inch back on the advice of a friend. I probably could have gone back further but I didn't want to take a chance on that one bleeding.

Does anybody else semi de beak? does it work? Should I do the rest? I figure the one that was doing the picking yesterday will be marked and culled once it grows out.

Steve in NC

Well steve, if your chicks are 2 months than they are ready to be outside in a grow pen. I had cannabalism, blood on the wings, and the second I put them into the flight pen all cannabalsim stops.

Quote:
Nice, do you have a pen up? Pics?
smile.png

WWW.CUTLERSUPPLY.COM!!!

THEY GOT ALL KINDS OF GOOD STUFF AT GREAT PRICES! PEEPERS, WOUND COAT, LEG BANDS, NETTING, ETC...

OH, DID I MEANTION PEEPERS? LOL.

I'M RIGHT THERE WITH YOU--- MINE ARE OUTSIDE IN A SMALLER PEN AND WHEN THE PICKING STARTED THIS WEEK I COVERED ALL PECKED AREAS WITH BLUE KOTE WND DRSG AND IT STOPPED. I AM WORKING ON THE NEW FLIGHT PEN TOMARROW AS WELL...

We have a "maturnity" pen that we use when all the birds first go outside.

It looks like it was just the one doing the picking, and trimming the beak stopped that. The picked one is healing fast so hopefully we have a handle on it.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom