And then there was 10......................

Quote:
not too surprised...mine brought me birds that had fallen from the nest and helped me take care of them...he even cleaned the food of their face. If he were here today, he would be guarding the girls.

I agree with some of the others...take it to the pound where is has a chance to find an owner who doesn't have chickens. It's not his fault...it's just instinct to give chase
sad.png
(

My home, with a strange mix of cats, dog, rodents, snakes, chickens.......anyway, it is a constant juggling act to make sure no one gets killed. I can't iamgine killing an animal you CHOSE to have for doing what came natural. Obviously you will do what you see fit and I am sure the poor dog will be on the losing end. When will people learn there are other more humane, more logical, ways.

Edit to say, the more I think about this the more upset I feel. Yeah, it is actually disturbing my sleep. When I take my kids to school I make sure their tummies are full, their clothes are comfortable, and they are happy and ready to start their day. I try to make sure nothing upsetting happens before they leave for the day. I have found a pet dead and didn't tell them until that evening so they wouldn't go to school sad. I can't even imagine letting my kids spend the entire day upset and worried, knowing their father is killing their dog sometime while they are gone. That is a special breed of cruelty in my opinion.

Last edited:
Did you think about finding the dog a home that doesn't have chickens? I love my chickens and would be very upset if a dog were to get to them, but I don't understand why you would resort first in the dealth of your kids pet.

You could at least try to find a home for the dog.

Our local paper runs “Free to good home” adds for free. You could call your paper and check or at least take it to a shelter where they will try to find it a new home. There is no need to kill the dog for being a dog.

I once caught my three-year-old son feeding 1-week-old chicks to our dog; she was eating them like popcorn. I didn’t shoot the boy or the dog and I didn’t loose any more chicks or chickens; I just made sure to keep the chickens in a secure run and put a lock on the door so the kid couldn’t get in anymore.

It may take a little effort on your part but aren’t your children worth it?

Quote:
uh huh...there are shelters, dog crates, fencing and chains for the dog.

I have only ever killed one of my childrens' pets and it was out of necessity and the child was present and made the decision to have it done.

My son's little colt was hit by a car and was suffering. I let my son decide whether or not to wait for a vet or to put him out of his suffering ourselves. My son made the right/adult decision...at age 9. He stood right beside me when I shot the horse because he wanted to be there.

What does you child think about you shooting his dog? Would he prefer to see it go to a shelter or another home? Does he know there are other choices?

Last edited:
I have to agree with what the majority here says.
What a ridicculous decision!! It's YOUR responsibility to keep the chickens somewhere the dog can't get to them! And if you can't manage to do that, find the dog a new home. Shooting it yourself should be your VERY LAST resort. I mean, what the h***. It's a dog's instinct to go after something as little as a chick!! My dog does it and apparently so do many other members' dogs. But I haven't heard of anyone else shooting their dog because of it. We are all responsible enough to make sure our dogs can't get to the chickens.
Think of what your actions teach your kid... At the first little instance your pet does something it's not supposed to, we're putting it down.
Craigslist.com has free online adds for pets. Your shelter can help as well, I'm sure. There are LOTS of options.

Absolutely riddiculous... That's all I can say.

I agree with a shelter. At least give the dog a chance to find a chicken-free home with a family that will love him.

Quote:
Holy Cow! That is a cute but disturbing story! No telling what little kids will do...my friend's 4 yo was out playing with his grandmother "watching" him and somehow he hid all of her horse's halters and leadlines.....she still hasn't found them a week later....
My Aussie was a sneaky chicken eater about 4 years ago...and as barbaric as it sounds, he wore a chicken for as long as I could stand the smell.....he ate slept and did everything else with his kill on him....he hasn't looked at one since.
I did the same thing with a shoe since he was bound and determined to sneak off in the middle of the night.
Take care and my thoughts and well wishes go out to the dog.....

Back
Top Bottom