And then there was one..... :( I need opinions!

TajMaChicken

Songster
10 Years
Apr 29, 2009
Hernando, MS
Three years ago I started my poultry adventure with 6 Rouen Ducklings and 4 chicks. A stray White Chineese Goose adopted us and then stole a duck egg and hatched it. Sadly last spring I lost four ducks when a bobcat moved in next door. Then a fox killed my precious momma goose. And a red tailed hawk killed my smallest duck this winter. So I had two Susie's left. I came home Thursday (which was my birthday) and only had one duck.
hit.gif
They stay out on the lake all the time and after the fox got into their house they would come up at night. I managed to lure my last duck which happens to be the one my goose hatched into the chicken coop with food last night. I just don't know what I should do? We have been trying to buy a new house and I had talked about getting more ducks but I don't want to unless I know we will find a place with a pond. Should I worry about her being a loner? I am going to try to keep her in the coop at night, but I feel like it will be a miserable existence for her if I just kept her in their constantly (like during the day) She is used to swimming a 40 acre lake everyday. My honey mentioned we could list her on craigist and try to find someone else who has some the she could join.

Help ya'll! What should I do?

Sorry to sound so blunt here...but as long as you dont provide protection during the day and lock them up at night- predators will continue to take your birds. Getting more will just be feeding the local predators. Keeping her in the coop may be lonely and a different life style for her- but if it will save her life is a better option than continuing to let her loose. Sorry that you have lost so many birds- but they must be provided with proper protection. Unless you can build a predator safe area for your duck /s- it may be kinder for your remaining girl - to put the ad on craigslist so she can go and live somewhere that is safe for her.

here is a thought trap or kill the fox and keep a better eye on youre ducks. Death is a fact of life, give them the best life you can while you have them.

Sorry for all of your losses.
hugs.gif
Just remember that the predators are out there and if they can come to your backyard to get an easy meal, they will be back. If it's possible build her a run so that you don't have to keep her locked in the coop all day. Give her a small pond or kiddie pool in her run and I promise she will be just as happy, if not happier, because she will feel safe.

Back
Top Bottom