And there it was, our first eggs!!!

Apr 12, 2011
So for the past 2 1/2 weeks, 3 of our 9 girls have been squatting and singing the "yay, I did it" egg song. Their wattles and comb have been bright red for the same amount of time. On a daily basis I would walk around our farm looking for eggs, see they free range during the day. I made sure to check their coop and nest boxes for eggs daily too, but with no luck.

They are 23 weeks this week and I figured at least the 3 showing signs of laying, should be laying at this point. Well today as I was going about my daily outdoor chores, I happened to move a barrel of scrap wood in the barn, low and behold I found their nest! 7 eggs all together. I was beyond excited and actually did the chicken dance
D.gif
. Man did I get the stink eye from them. I'm not sure if it was from my lack of skill when it comes to dancing, or for taking 6 of their eggs. I left one egg in the nest and marked it with an X. I figured since it's still hot here in VA. I would let them continue laying in that nest. Once it gets cooler, I'll lock them in the coop for a day or two to see if I can get them to lay in their boxes. Fingers crossed
fl.gif

To all of you still waiting... don't fret, it will happen.

Here they are:

86337_img_1150.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks everyone
smile.png

I ended up with one light brown and one speckled brown egg today
clap.gif
! I know my EE is laying eggs as well, as you can see her light blue egg in the picture, but she has a injured wing. I'm not expecting her to lay until the stress of her injury is well over with.

It sure is exciting to see those eggs waiting for us in the afternoon. I believe two others should start laying soon as well. Their combs and wattles are growing quickly but are still pink in color.

Back
Top Bottom