...and they are still in my house

jgervais

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Jackson, MI
I am STILL waiting for my coop to get done.
I now have 7 - 6 week old 'chickens' living in the dog cage brooder in my back room.
They are HUGE and several of them actually sound like chickens now.
I bring them outside during the day, but have no actual shelter set up so I have to bring them all back in at night.

Any tips on removing large amounts of dust from a bedroom? My house is disgusting. The hubby better get this coop project wrapped up THIS WEEK!!!
I will NEVER raise chickens in my house again. A cozy spot in the garage will have to do next time!

Oh, I hear ya loud and clear! I am also SO TIRED of raising chicks, and I can't wait until they are all outside! (I do this every spring...They stay in a room in my basement and it is SOOO DUSTY!) ARG!

My tip for the excessive dust is SHOP VAC! LOL

I am in the same boat. I have mine in the laundry room so every load has wood chips in it. The dust insn't too bad but we have caliche for ground so we are naturally dusty so I probably don't notice it. My only problem is that the dh is not available to help and I don't like using the compressor with the power stapler. So I've been waiting, hoping he gets time to staple up the chicken wire. I did put them outside in the dog kennel yesterday but last night they cried when it started getting dark so I had to bring them back in.

I have 3 10 week olds and 3 5 week olds in my laundry room. Coop has a floor and 1 wall framed. Hopefully they will be out this weekend. Oh I put up the dog kennel run this weekend so they will finally get some outside time.

Quote:
Haha- I have 3 - 7 week old Buff's in my large dog cage in the family room and I have 3 - 4 week old Buff's in another cage in the kitchen! I just started building the coop this weekend but God knows how long it will take me hopefully within a week or two I should be done! But the weather doesn't look like it's going to co-operate
barnie.gif
But I will try to build alot of pieces ahead of time in the garage. It's really funny though cause the chickens free range out back all day and then when they want to come back in they just come up to the sliding glass door and stare at me, and if I shouldn't notice their eyeballs gazing at me... Then they proceed to peck at the glass
lau.gif
It's rather amusing~ I enjoy having them around~ I think I will miss them when I move them out to the coop. But I agree with you I wont miss the mess~ Hope hubby builds it quickly!

ugh, sorry. I was in the same boat a few weeks ago, at least they were in the basement but they were flying out of the brooder. DH has been working 12-18 hr days so didn't have time to clean out the coop (formerly cattle shed). I would have done it myself if I weren't 8+ months pregnant with a 2 year old to chase! Finally I had to call him at work crying because I couldn't take it anymore and the chicks were crowded and getting crabby. That's the only thing that finally worked.
tongue.png
I am NEVER starting chicks in the house again!

Good luck! That dust is so nasty.

Quote:
I'm about to start the crying thing myself.... I know that usually gets the job done. I'm 7 months pregnant and not very mechanically inclined, so I'm not much help either. I asked for a coop like 3 months ago!!! I told him once we got the chickens he had 3 weeks to finish the coop.... and still they are in my house. This may sound ignorant, but I had NO IDEA chickens were so dusty. The smell is bad but tolerable, the noise I can handle, but the dust! OMG THE DUST! I can't take it anymore! I didnt plan on having that much dust, so didnt really move anything out of the room in which they are inhabiting - now all my office papers, books, printer, some clothes... completely covered in fine dust. I'm going to have to spend 2 days after I get them out of the house just cleaning the mess!!!!

We moved my five 4 week olds and four 3 week olds at least out on the screened in porch-not in the hearth room anymore! What a relieve to have them out-They seem to like it out there. Hopefully, my son can finish the coop next weekend. I don't think I'm raising anymore chicks until we have a garage.

Yep, I have 5 week olds. I had great plans for my coop. Then my mom fell and moved in with me. I love her but she is taking 2 hours a day and 5-10 on weekends. Doesn't leave much time to build a coop. They'll be laying eggs in the spare bedroom at this rate. LOL what do you do?

My dad hasn't started the coop yet...
sad.png
I have 17 birds in the house, which are also in my bedroom... As long as the window is open they don't smell... But he sometimes says it too "cold" out and it reeks to high heavens. There is pine shavings all over my floor... He is building a massive shed and is sectioning a part of or off for me. I bet it's a month before he's done
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom