1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

...and they're out!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TubbyChicken, Dec 25, 2008.

1. TubbyChicken

TubbyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Kentucky
    My chicks (7 weeks) are spending their first night in the coop! I put them out this afternoon (about 1:00) and have checked on them periodically since. It was pretty warm today, but is now down to about 40 and the last time I checked they were all spread out, sleeping peacefully and trilling/chirping when my flashlight shone in the coop.

I'm still a bit nervous and will check on them a few more times this evening and throughout the day tomorrow.

They seemed so happy to have the new space. I hope they'll do alright out there. I plan to bring them back in if they seem too cold or stressed and re acclimate them slowly.

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    My ameraucanas are 5 weeks old, fully feathered and ready for the coop too! I expected them to stay in the brooder for at least 8 weeks, but 5 seems awfully quick. Anyway, they are out permanently on New Years Day. Luckily, it doesnʻt go below 60 here, but the rains can be nasty this time of year.

3. orchidchick

orchidchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    south florida
    I have four that are headed out in the next few days. They are only about 3 weeks but it seems a shame to keep them in when it's been in the 80's/high60's here (i know-rediculous) but there is still a level of worry in letting go. I can put a ceramic light in for nightime. Mine will be in a small coop and run in the big girls coop/run until they get to be quite a bit bigger.
    Good job Chick parents!

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Fun...

time flies quickly... they'll be laying eggs before you know it.

5. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have two silkies going out today! Tis the season......

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Thats for sure, I was stilling calling some of my chickens babies , last week hubby walks in with a crud load of eggs [​IMG] Guess there not babies anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by