And what about predators?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rockiemtchix, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rockiemtchix

rockiemtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Colorado
    Predators are probably my biggest concern as a newbie!

Bears, mt lions, fox, crafty coons, squirrels (?), and of course neighbor pets...what the heck was I thinking??

So I really need the absolute toughest, most secure method for my coop. I figure if a bear or lion wants in, it'll get in. But I'd like to deter as much as possible. The best method I've seen to day is to lay hardware cloth along entire bottom of the attaches run and allow it to stick out about 8-12". Then cover those portions protruding out w 12x12 pavers. Seems like a good idea, but anyone in mt region w a tried and true method?
    Thx!!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, rockiemtchix, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! You are wise to be concerned about predators! I can't even imagine what a bear-proof or mountain lion-proof coop would look like! I mainly have to contend with coyotes and raccoons. I think good hardware - hinges and latches, and heavy hardware cloth will get you a long way down the road to at least having a really good predator resistant coop. Another option might be electric fencing - don't know if getting zapped by an electric fence will turn back a bear or cougar but it might be worth a try. You can search the Predator thread below or do a search for how others deal with these types of beasts. Good luck to you!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    2 people like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  5. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    [​IMG]From Kansas! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. The use of hardware cloth and pavers will probably keep most predators out of your coop/run. An electric fence may be needed for bear, cougar, or dog attacks. If faced with these predators, 'bait' the hot wire with bacon strips so that they become educated when their nose or mouth contacts the wire.

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. rockiemtchix

rockiemtchix Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2013
    Colorado
    RIGHT! I heard about baiting with bacon. We considered doing that with our beehives up here, but instead built a stronger enclosure to protect against the bears and coons. I even heard that the Colorado Div of Wildlife will pay for the fencing if you report a loss to them due to wildlife attacks! thanks for jogging my memory and thanks for taking the time. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by