And yet another question.....

DirtCreature

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
Olympia, Washington
So i looked up how long to let shipped eggs sit and why, so that way someone wouldnt just reply with "go to this part of the site, and read it..." i already know i should let them sit and all that.... some say 48 hours, some say 24 hours....

My question is, does anyone just put them right in?

Is the hatch rate lower, usually, always, or ??

Should I leave the eggs out on the counter, (room temp) or fridge, before I do add them?

Is this an old wives tale?

bow.gif

I would be super greatful if someone who has experience with hatching eggs before let me know, if they have ever put them right in vs. waiting, and how long would be better to wait....

Thanks so much for your time guys, after this last batch of bad eggs, im starting to feel a lot more confident about trying to hatch my own.

I honestly can't tell you anything about shipped eggs - never done it. I just wanted to tell you that I'm glad you're trying again after your last experience and to encourage you as you keep trying. It's ever a learning process...

From what I understand about shipped eggs, you are trying to let the air sacs unscramble and let the embryos settle. I have never let them set more then 1 day. But, I am no expert. Of course you also want to make sure the eggs don't get too old, so its a bit confusing.

Shipped eggs get damaged internally from all the shaking and banging during handling. Sometimes the yol is scrambled and completely usesless. Others have detached aircells that float in areas they should not be.

There is a good post in the Easter Hatcha long about how to handle these eggs as so many people set shipped eggs. I'm sorry I didn't flag it.

The jist is, let the eggs sit in a carton, large end up. Plan on incubating in the upright position and hatching in the same position. LEt the eggs rest . SOme people say 8 hours , other say 48 hours. Maybe it depends on how old the egg is already. ( Best hatching % is on eggs less than 10 days old). Set the eggs in turner ( or carton) and do not turn for some day 4 days, some say 7 days, to let the air cells heal . THen start the turner.

I did try to hatch 2 dozen eggs, and I didn't know about this method, and I had 5 hatch. Not great numbers. While we are drilled with the idea of the eggs need turning, the stablization of the aircell is more important than turning.

Hope this helps. GL

PS. Room temperature is fine, eggs don't start growing until much warmer than the standard 70 degree room temperature.

ok! thanks so much! i am going to let them wait until tomorrow and then put them in. which acutally kinda sucks cause i already started a thread about putting them in today! HAHAHAHA oh well they will understand, i guess i will just be a day behind.... im glad i found this out, cause i was just about to put them in.

and thanks Bobbi-j i am really excited this time. i would have never tryed to hatch such expensive inportant eggs the first time but the lady i barrowed my incubator from made it sound like it is super super easy to hatch eggs. like put them in and leave them. hahaha guess not!

Back
Top Bottom