Angel Trumpet

My 3 Chicky Babies

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2021
Just caught one of my chickens nibbling on one of my Angel Trumpet leaves (a plant I hadn’t moved yet). I’m scared to death that she will die. Can anyone give me some insight on what to do and or look out for? I’m a new Chicken Momma as of March. Learning all I can is what I’m aiming for.
thanks in advance.

Just caught one of my chickens nibbling on one of my Angel Trumpet leaves (a plant I hadn’t moved yet). I’m scared to death that she will die. Can anyone give me some insight on what to do and or look out for? I’m a new Chicken Momma as of March. Learning all I can is what I’m aiming for.
thanks in advance.
It is one of those plants that is toxic to birds, but if she just sampled it she should be fine. Most chickens have a 6th sense about these things; she probably knows now that it’s not edible and will leave it alone. You don’t need to worry unless she ate a whole ton of it - I have tomato plants growing all over my run (the green parts are toxic to chickens) and I find little nibble marks sometimes. Nobody has ever gotten sick from it.

It is one of those plants that is toxic to birds, but if she just sampled it she should be fine. Most chickens have a 6th sense about these things; she probably knows now that it’s not edible and will leave it alone. You don’t need to worry unless she ate a whole ton of it - I have tomato plants growing all over my run (the green parts are toxic to chickens) and I find little nibble marks sometimes. Nobody has ever gotten sick from it.
Thank you for your reply. It was a few nibbles, I’m hopeful it was only that and she will be ok. Are there remedies to keep on hand for when chickens eat something poisonous?

Back
Top Bottom