angel wing or twisted wing tip?

goose377

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 18, 2010
western NY
Hi,
my sebastopol is a little over a month now and i noticed it's wing is sticking out. Is this normal? how do i fix it? this is my first goose so please help

74119_003_5.jpg

74119_002_3.jpg

I'm not sure if that is angel wing or not, but there are lots of very nice experienced folks on this site that will help you. I just taped the wings of two of my geese who had angel wings. The tape is really helping correct the problem.

If it is angel wing, this video shows exactly how to tape a wing correctly: http://www.phillipsmediaservices.com/anglewing56k.wmv

I
used vet tape from the feed store. It only sticks to itself.

There is a lot of good info on the web and on byc.

Good luck : )

Looks more like this gosling is going through the "droopy wing" stage of growth.
The thick feathers are full of blood- weighing down the wing and making it droop.

With age, the quills will dry up and the gosling will be able to hold his wing in a normal position.
It is normal.

I agree, it doesn't look like angel wing to me. However, it is at the stage when they become susceptible to angel wing so if the wing seems to be turning out more than it should or if the gosling is unable to return the wing back to the 'normal' position go ahead and tape it for a few days.

It's lazy wing, and it should get treated like angel wing. Just wrap it with vet wrap. First you wrap it into the folded position and then to the body. It only need to be wrapped for the daytime and can come off at night. It should be cured after about 4 days of wrapping, but it may be need longer depending on the healing process.

Thank you so much it definitely is angel wing when i checked on him this morning the wing had got much worse and sticks out all the way now. I'm buying some tape today

I just finished with the same thing (only worse). The video ericay posted a link to really is great. It gave me a lot more confidence. I'm still having second thoughts about not taping the wing to the body, I'm sort of afraid the whole wing will start to droop. It's coming off today so we'll see how it goes.

This forum is invaluable for tossing out ideas and information.

Good luck - yours is so early it should be an easy fix.

I would also say it is the time in there growth that there wings are so heavy from all of the blood them. Just keep a eye on it and give ample exercise with lots of room to run and flap.

i just taped the wing and i was wondering if i should tape the wing to the body, any suggestions? how long should the tape stay on? I've read that you should take it off at night or for a few hours each day. It seems everything i read contradicts something else.

I agree - it's confusing. I just wrapped the wing, pretty loose on Monday morning and took it off around noon today and she looks perfect. I'm so happy. We'll leave it for now unless it starts turning out again. You can see my goose on the other angel wing thread. She was worse than yours. I would wrap it during the day and take it off at night if I was you. It seems so mild, I think you might just have to do it for a couple of days. Did you watch the video? He says you have to re-hab the wing but I think if you take it off at night it'll stay movable. That's why I took mine off early.

Back
Top Bottom