Angel Wing: what to wrap with? Update: its gone!!

I read somewhere that someone had used a kiddie T shirt to stabilize the wings. It can be slipped off and on quite easily and will not cause any feathers to be pulled out.

Here is an update: We wrapped the wings with vet wrap for four days and when we took it off you would never have known that he had it.. Thanks quakmire for the helpful suggestion!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Angel wing is caused by feeding to high of a protein feed. Add corn & wet bread to the feed as a filler.

You do realize, don't you, that places where ducks are fed corn and bread is where the most cases of angel wing occur?
http://www.spokanecity.org/services/articles/?ArticleID=1850

Here is a young drake that was raised on free access to 28% protein game bird feed. His favorite snack? Cat food (38% protein) and duckweed (43%) along with dandelions and other salad stuff (they don't free range because of hawks but get greens in the morning). If protein causes angel wing, he should be the angel wing poster child. His wings should be so messed up he drags them on the ground.

1004153y.jpg

10041562.jpg

I just today heard from a lady who has 3 of his siblings. She also uses game bird feed. All 3 are perfectly healthy with no wing deformities.
Anecdotal, yes. Do we need a definitive study? Yes! Until we get one I am going by my research that I have done on macronutrients. It appears to be quite similar (if not the same) as OmaBird's.

(And no way in heck would a breed a bird with angel wing.)​

Last edited:
ok just found out my Mallard, Racer has this problem...didnt know what it was until I just posted a pic of it...he is 8wks old. is it too late to try and fix hiim? how long will it take?? so I have to wrap his whole body not just the wing, correct? thanks bunches.

and what happens if we dont fix it? will it hurt him, Im looking at maybe he wont keep something on and slip out and all that.

You are pushing the age limit for fixing it, but I think you still have a 100% chance. Don't wait any longer. Right now they are standing up, a little bit later they will be hanging outward. Down the road they can get injuries because they look like an airplane. Wrapping is not that hard, but it requires two persons to do it. Vet wrap at the horse in the feed store is very cheap, so there is not reason not to do it. Make sure that you first fold each wing under and wrap them. The final step is to wrap it all to the body. You do not want the duck to be able to stretch out the wing underneath the wrapping. Your duck, most likely, will manage to get out of the wrapping once or twice until you get it right with the wrapping. The wrapping can be taken off at night. Some keep it on 24 hours, but I have noticed no difference in recovery time with taking it off for the night. Your bird will be much happier in the long run, if you correct it now. 4 days of wrapping should do the trick. If not add a few more days.

Ok, thanks...I was wondering what I would use to keep Racer comfortable....it just started popping up like that about 2wks ago...and I didnt know if it hurt him...or not...first I wanted to make sure it was not part of his genetics that caused that and it was a natural thing.

Back
Top Bottom