Angel Wing?

Steph21

Songster
Oct 2, 2020
Alabama
Today I noticed my Cayuga duckling's feathers seem to be growing in at an odd angle. Does this look like angel wing? It's never happened to any of my ducks and I just wanted to make completely sure before I treat it.

20210730_173516.jpg

It looks like it may be. But I would wait a few more days and see if it gets better. Sometimes the joint is just a little weak and the weight of those flights coming in make it stick out a bit until they grow out some more. I had one that looked just like that the other day and now it's not sticking out any more.

It looks like it might be heading that direction. That's how my gosling's wings looked initially when they started coming in, and I've been struggling to correct her angel wing for a few weeks now. 😩

Thanks shaw, and yes, that's what I've been doing. First couple attempts were whole body wraps but she wriggled out pretty easily. Just wrapping the affected part like in the video keeps her together but I don't see any improvement after taking them off.
Well shoot!
Well at least it's basically just a cosmetic issue it doesn't hurt the bird other than hindering it from being able to fly. Domestic geese Don't really fly anyway do they?

Well shoot!
Well at least it's basically just a cosmetic issue it doesn't hurt the bird other than hindering it from being able to fly. Domestic geese Don't really fly anyway do they?
Very little. I have pilgrims which are heavier so they fly even less. Most I've seen my adult geese do is fly over a 4' fence, and he barely made it. I just hate how the angel wing looks, and I hatched this gosling myself. But I'm just going to do the best I can do 🤷‍♀️

Very little. I have pilgrims which are heavier so they fly even less. Most I've seen my adult geese do is fly over a 4' fence, and he barely made it. I just hate how the angel wing looks, and I hatched this gosling myself. But I'm just going to do the best I can do 🤷‍♀️
My call duck book says that if it does not correct to go ahead and pull out the flight feathers to reduce the weight on the joint. But idk if I could do that. 😟

My call duck book says that if it does not correct to go ahead and pull out the flight feathers to reduce the weight on the joint. But idk if I could do that. 😟
Oh boy, I'm not sure if I can either. I was planning to take off her vet wrap anyway to see how they were doing today, hopefully there's improvement!

Angel wing is not just a cosmetic issue in waterfowl. It's the result of improper feeding/diet. Feeding a lot of corn, bread, treats etc and not giving a good diet can cause them to develop angel wing.

You may want to supplement vitamins and avoid any treats for a while.

@Isaac 0

Back
Top Bottom