Angel Wing

MommaK6

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
One of my Cayuga ducks is having a wing....malfunction. I thought it was an injury from rough handling when I wasn't around. But, after reading another post about droopy wings I looked up angel wing. I think this is what my little guy (I think?) has.

So, now what??

Droopy wings are different than angel wing.

Droopy- hang low the duck/goose constantly pulls them up but cannt hold them in the tucked position. This happens when the wing feathers start growing in and the quills are full of blood. As they exercise their wings and the blood recedes from the quills they will tuck them again. Do nothing to treat. Lots of room to move around, sunshine and exercise.

Angel wing--- resembles a hitch nickers thumb, protruding OUT (90*) from the body. Related to high protein feed, some birds are predisposed to getting it. There is a sticky at the top of the duck area here that shows photo step by step how to wrap and treat angel wing.

Good luck with your duck.

Droopy- hang low the duck/goose constantly pulls them up but cannt hold them in the tucked position. This happens when the wing feathers start growing in and the quills are full of blood. As they exercise their wings and the blood recedes from the quills they will tuck them again. Do nothing to treat. Lots of room to move around, sunshine and exercise.
Angel wing--- resembles a hitch nickers thumb, protruding OUT (90*) from the body. Related to high protein feed, some birds are predisposed to getting it. There is a sticky at the top of the duck area here that shows photo step by step how to wrap and treat angel wing.
Very good post.

Thanks! Yes, it is definitely angel wing. I tried wrapping him up.....seriously.....it was like trying to wrestle an octopus with only one arm. That was kinda ridiculous. LOL

I have no idea if I did it correctly. It is a cayuga duck...a fat, fluffy cayuga. There are now feathers and "poof" sticking out all around the bandage and I worry I am impacting his good wing.

On the side you can see some of the "fluff" around his feathers poking out. I think it is more exaggerated from turning his head.

Thanks so much for this clarification!!!
goodpost.gif

He's like , "Mom, do I have to wear this hideous bandage?!"
What a cutie pie!! You did a great job wrapping his wing! Looks secure and comfy !

On the side you can see some of the "fluff" around his feathers poking out. I think it is more exaggerated from turning his head.

Back
Top Bottom