Angle wing?

Pampered chicken girl

🎶My angels and demons at war with myself🎶
Premium Feather Member
Apr 10, 2022
This is my little 4 day old chick, i noticed her wing pokes out. Does she have angle wing? If so what should I do to help?
20230531_140335.jpg
20230531_140340.jpg
20230531_140316.jpg

Hello!

I do not think that chickens can really get angel wing, but if I’m wrong then it would still be extremely rare. I’ve had chicks that seemed like they held their wings at a weird angle that were actually perfectly fine. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but others may have a different opinion. Does she always hold her wing like that or just sometimes? Has she ever had any injuries? Did she fall from a high place or slip on the ground maybe? Anything else that you think could be the cause?

Hello!

I do not think that chickens can really get angel wing, but if I’m wrong then it would still be extremely rare. I’ve had chicks that seemed like they held their wings at a weird angle that were actually perfectly fine. I don’t think it’s anything to worry about, but others may have a different opinion. Does she always hold her wing like that or just sometimes?
Always
Has she ever had any injuries?
No
Did she fall from a high place or slip on the ground maybe?
no
Anything else that you think could be the cause?
the only thing is her eggs was started under a broody and i brought it into an incubator after 3 days because she wasn't a good broody
Looks like she's might be a frizzle.
Not possible. Her dad was from a silkie and her mom was hatched from my flock.

I don’t think that moving the eggs would cause that. It’s probably nothing to worry about and will likely eventually go away :)

I don’t think that moving the eggs would cause that. It’s probably nothing to worry about and will likely eventually go away :)
Ok, that's good! Her egg wass put from under the broody for like an hour, but I didn't think that would cause the problem since it was so early in incubating

Ok, that's good! Her egg wass put from under the broody for like an hour, but I didn't think that would cause the problem since it was so early in incubating
You’re correct!

My neighbor once gave me two peafowl eggs that her peahen had stopped sitting on, and they had been out from under her for nearly 24 hours. They both hatched though, and were completely fine!

Another time, I hatched some duck eggs that had been taken from a nest without a mom, and I’m not sure how long they’d been sitting there, but I had them for several more hours before I put them in the incubator. Four of five hatched, but one died before it zipped. I suspect it had a leg issue or deformity and sadly couldn’t escape the shell. The point is, the eggs were unharmed by the length of time they were left without heat.

I also had a broody hen whose eggs were accidentally taken from her, and she didn’t get them back for about 15 hours or so. Many of them broke throughout the remaining time of incubation, but in the end there was only one that didn’t hatch.

So, in most cases, even though it’s not ideal, it is completely fine for eggs to be left without heat for quite some time before the embryos start to have problems or die. Of course it would be better to leave the nests undisturbed, but that’s not always an option! :)

Back
Top Bottom